1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Videoing Lesson Observations? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Dixie1234, Jul 17, 2011.

1. I have not come across this myself before, but am considering the
    benefits of videoing lesson observations to help enable teachers to
    self-assess their own practice and to allow opportunities to exemplify
    their good practice. Does anyone have any experience of this, good or
    bad? Has anyone tried it? If so, how was it introduced? Are there any
    union implications? Is it raising performance/standards? What are the pitfalls?

2. I have not come across this myself before, but am considering the
    benefits of videoing lesson observations to help enable teachers to
    self-assess their own practice and to allow opportunities to exemplify
    their good practice. Does anyone have any experience of this, good or
    bad? Has anyone tried it? If so, how was it introduced? Are there any
    union implications? Is it raising performance/standards? What are the pitfalls?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Sounds like a minefield to me. You could only ever use it on an 'opt in' basis (i.e. if the teacher asked you to, after you'd offered it as an option - you couldn't pressurise them to accept it) and it's likely thata lot of people would refuse, either because they lacked the confidence or because they feared it might be used as evidence against them. I can understand their fears.

4. Don't know of rules but I suppose you'd want staff to take part to help them so maybe try and watch it back together, discuss then delete?

5. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

Have done this with a SCITT student as part of their course.The student used the video as a self assessment tool.As part of the programme too we have filmed our lesson feedback session to be used on training days.
    My HT as part of a collegues PM asked her to film her science lesson to self assess how she used questioning with groups of boys/girls.

rachel664 likes this.
  6. How do you set the camera up properly and is it a camcorder or something else you use for filming? I have images of watching a video of the teacher's shoes with a soundtrack of chairs scraping and the Caretaker whistling outside!

7. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

It was a camcorder set up on a tripod which I could keep quite steady when filming her but 'panned it around' and when we were filming the 'feedback' it was set up on the tripod and so was still.

8. I briefly saw a small camera which sits on a table in front of a teacher with a small tripod but missed the manufacturer . If has a flip out USB connection so goes straight into your computer. Was for Ever Child Counts but looked a good tool to record guided work well. Could be used for child led tasks too.

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

10. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

"permissioning"? What happened to "asking for permission"?

We also seem to be forgetting that filming children is a somewhat dubious activity.

And as for

you may use the online counters and timers to produce statistical data on questioning techniques. Common questions that teachers seem to ask is: Do I provide sufficient wait time for students to answer questions? Or, How long do I stand with my back to the class? Or, What percentage of my questions are open, leading, closed? Etc

Those are not the thoughts which are uppermost in my colleagues' minds, I can tell you. They've got much better things to do than that.

11. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

It's stuff like this that convinces us bottomfeeders that

a) there are far too many of you, and

b) you don't have nearly enough to keep you busy

12. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Newposter, just realised that this drivel is three years old. Perhaps we should have left it in well deserved oblivion.

13. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

3 years old? It's gone out of fashion and come back six times already then.

14. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

It is definitely back in fashion. Can it be used as part of PM? Who needs to give permission? Can it be imposed on teachers via SIP?

15. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

In the mid 1970s, as a class teacher, I worked quite extensively with what were called student teachers. Some of their tutors would come and be videod teaching the class to discuss afterwards what had gone on during the lesson. Love to see that now ! Perhaps Ofsted inspectors could take lessons for us to observe and judge.

16. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I have used it extensively in the past - with student teachers, to analyse aspects of their practice with them, but also in school, when giving feedback.

Lessons that demonstrate particular aspects of good practice were placed on the school intranet so that any staff could access them at any time. Staff were incredibly proud when one of their lessons made it into the portfolio. It became a real badge of honour and it was well-received by staff who valued the expertise of their friends and colleagues more than outsiders coming in to tell them how it should be done. Spontaneously staff would then pair up and ask to observe informally and / or seek out the individual teacher and ask for assistance.

I thought it was very positive.

17. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

For certain examination boards it has long been a requirement to video certain lessons/ workshops to submit as evidence of coursework?

18. rachel664

rachel664 New commenter

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines]

19. Schoolcoachguru

Schoolcoachguru New commenter