1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Video interview.. any advice please?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by gruffalo4, Mar 25, 2020.

1. gruffalo4

gruffalo4 New commenter

Hi!

I found out today that I have been short listed for an interview.

The interview will take place via an online video platform (a bit like Skype) as we obviously cannot be face-to-face.

This will only be my second interview so just after any helpful tips (especially as I will be in front of my laptop screen!). I have done lots of research around the job/school etc. but would like to be as prepared as possible (although who knows what questions may arise!).

I also hope this helps people wondering what is happening re. recruitment during this uncertain time.

Thank you! :)

2. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

I've only done one Skype interview, but I found it useful to practise with calling a friend the day before. It helped me work out what position, screen angle was best, etc. Hopefully others will have more advice, but definitely do a test run!
    Good luck.

gruffalo4 likes this.
  3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Senior commenter

Yeah, good luck ! When this is over, there'll be loads of lessons which we'll have learned. One of them might be that kids do just as well remotely as they do in front of a real person. I'd start looking for online teaching jobs that film you smiling in your living room, bottle of wine hidden under the table.

gruffalo4 likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done, you have clearly impressed them, and they are keen to see if you are indeed what they need, otherwise they would have left it for a while.

General interview preparation needs to be done, as well as the video bit thinking about. In HERE there's a chapter on skype interviews.

It's a good idea to practice the video bit with a plain-speaking friend who will tell you if you have a weird background, or look shifty because you can't keep your eyes on the person you're speaking to. You really need to feel secure about the impression that you are giving!

Best wishes

gruffalo4 likes this.
  5. sugaflowa

sugaflowa New commenter

Has anyone got any tips for an online interview for a private school teaching post? Thanks

6. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Have they given you any prompts to think about?
    I work for a private school not in the UK but I imagine every place is different - just depends who's interviewing.
    They will want to know you work hard, are willing to go the extra mile, have high expectations of the children, can adapt your style to suit different children and have an ability to extend children to push them further.
    Have some anecdotes and stories to act as 'proof' that you can identify with these and that you have a level of experience with it.

sugaflowa likes this.
  7. sugaflowa

sugaflowa New commenter

Thank you so much for that help