1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Video Game Marketing

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by ThereAreBunniesInMyHead, Feb 9, 2014.

1. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

Hi guys

I normally do the online AQA CPD course for each annual exam topic and find them really useful but I have been unable to do any of them this year because I am heavily pregnant and every single time they have had one of these courses it has clashed with one of my antenatal appointments! Would anyone be willing to take pity on me and share any of the stuff they learned on the course? I'd just be interested in what AQA suggested, in particularly for the knowledge based Q1 questions in terms of what we should be covering? I'd be grateful as well if anyone has any of the downloadable documents that you get as part of the training course that I could peruse? I just feel totally unprepared for this topic and don't want to miss teaching something that could be really important just because I am pregnant and coulcnt do the courses!

Thanks in advance for anyone who does take pity on me and I am completely willing to share any resources I have that might be useful for you. I have lots of SOW for the AQA GCSE course and for the AQA and OCR A-level courses. x

2. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

Hi there - email me if you still need stuff - let's talk.

k_langton * btopenworld.com

- replace the * with an @

3. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

I'm very disappointed that after asking for help, the OP does not feel the need to respond in any way at all to emailed resources - very selfish.

I would suggest that anyone else reading the above, should not waste their time offereing to help rude and selfish people such as this.

4. Hi MrPuss

just found your case studies over on the resources site, very useful!

5. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

Thank you. :)

6. Perhaps the OP is in the middle of labour or trying to look after her new baby, or a thousand and one other things may have happened. It's a bit harsh to say she is rude and selfish, particularly when her resources have been so helpful in the past.

joppon9 likes this.
  7. Mr_X

Mr_X New commenter

8. Thank you. Really helpful timelines. I keep reading 'depth rather than breadth' but what exactly does this mean? An 'deep' analysis of the effectiveness of each piece of promotional material? And how 'deep' is 'deep'?

I'm a newbie to teaching Media.

Thanks

9. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

Wow, just checked in on this thread. I DID in fact respond to your emailed resources thanking you for them. I have no idea why you have not received that email, unless for some reason it went through to your spam folder? Sorry if you thought I was being rude but that was never my intention.

I haven't been checking this site very much in the last couple of weeks because, as kinvara says, I have been in and out of hospital with some pregnancy complications such as pre-eclampsia and Placenta Previa and as such, have not really had my head in a work related space. Thankfully all is fine with the baby at the moment and I have just a matter of a couple of weeks left now before my due date. This of course means I am up to my neck in things like marking coursework and sorting out my classroom and plans and I have been far busier than normal.

And yes, I have supplied this site with a LOT of free resources, many of which I have been told that media studies teachers have found very useful so thank you to those who said so. I have a lot of excellent reviews for the in depth exam revision booklets I have uploaded in previous years which I think was very "unselfish" of me considering they often give teachers a full guide to the unit in question, along with resources, activities, mark schemes etc, saving a lot of people a lot of work. I am about to upload another one in the next day or two for the Video Game Unit which hopefully many of you will find useful.

10. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

Oh and I might add, that Mr Puss did receive at least ONE of my emails to him because in it, I offered to exchange resources with him, in return for his resources. I asked him if there was anything in particular he was interested in, in terms of topics or units as I have a plentiful supply of resources for a wide range of areas that I was willing to send him. In his reply he told me not to worry about it because he had been (and I am paraphrasing here because I don't get access to my home emails in school) " teaching media for years and years and so had everything (he) needs."... So its not like I didn't offer!

11. Speaking

Speaking New commenter

Good luck with the baby and hope everything goes well for you. Please look at Teachit.co.uk under Promotion and Marketing of Video Games as these resources should also be helpful for the GCSE Media exam this year.

Shirley x

12. Mr_X

Mr_X New commenter

Depth not breadth means that the students need to know about the promotional campaigns for two or three campaigns in depth (I'll come back to exactly how deep in a minute) rather than knowing about ten or eleven individual promotional texts for ten or eleven different games.

The level of depth I'm teaching to includes:

- Marketing mix (Price, Product, Place, Promotion)

- What promotion means (DECCS - Direct media, editorial, channel circular, channel point of presence, social media)

- How the campaign creates AIDA at different stages (Awareness, Interest, Desire, Action)

- An in-depth look at who the target audience is using either Experian Mosaic or VALS

- Other relevant theories including the Uses and Gratifications Theory and Two-step flow

13. Thank you. Are there any campaigns which you have found particularly effective? I've looked at a couple but not in this much depth yet...

14. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

I've been looking at Call Of Duty Ghosts with my classes. They have some great marketing products. Their website has lots of info on it.. Plus they have very clear branding across products. Their live action trailer (see link below) is great for analysing with students about how they appeal to the specific audience

www.youtube.com/watch

They also have a really interesting cinematic trailer too

www.youtube.com/watch

They have a good range of merchandise which can be found on www.jinx.com/.../callofduty

They produced synergetic campaigns with Monster energy drinks etc..

15. Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

Another query- when they are practising Q4 (practical production) do they have to annotate what they produce? For example, if they are asked to produce a homepage for a website, will they simply be expected to produce it or should they be annotating the various codes and conventions they have used too?

16. Any ideas on question 4? Is it normally on how to promote a product? What kind of question are we looking at when the topic is promotion?

New to AQA Media :-/

17. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

I have found that students can still get full marks on the design question without annotating their designs. The examiners seem to be more interested in the use of conventions, how well the product fits the brief / genre etc and whether it seems creative / stands out from the crowd etc.. If they have time left after all that I get them to annotate their work with a few notes but its not entirely necessary.

18. Thanks for this. I am looking at AIDA with the class and linking it to the various promotional materials in the Heavy Rain and COD:Ghosts campaigns.

I'm struggling to explain VALS to them though. How do I identify the target audience for these campaigns and how much do they need to be able to explain? 'This trailer was effective in reaching the target audience of thinkers because it appealed to...' or do they need to be going into way more depth than this?

Do they need to be referring to VALS in question 1 or will this be question 2? Will they also need to be mentioning it in their pitch? It all seems a little high-brow for me.

If anyone can reply, then thanks in advance!

19. Mr_X

Mr_X New commenter

Have a look at the CoD Ghosts Faboom UK trailer. You can see that it features loads of different professions talking about the game from doctors down to janitors. This enables different VALS groups to relate to the representations of players shown. This one advert manages to appeal to quite a wide range of VALS types in just 30 seconds. VALS will be throughout I think as they will need to show knowledge of existing campaigns appealing to fragmented audiences in task 1 and then show how they will do it in 2 and/or as well.

20. kim_stockwell

kim_stockwell New commenter

Hi,

Rather new to the AQA spec. What theories would you say are a must for them to know? they are aware of uses and gratifications and two step flow. Their case studies are COD and Dark Souls 2 as well as Heavy rain.

I'm really worried I haven't covered enough with them.