1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

video for listening instead of just sound tracks

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by veverett, Jul 18, 2012.

1. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Do you use any of the textbooks that now come with video instead of disembodied sound tracks for listening? Does it really make a big difference?
    ? Is there enough video or is it just a once a unit thing?
    ? Does it exploit the video so it makes a difference?
    ? Does it develop listening?
    ? Can you get the video without having to buy some annoying electronic lesson planning thing?
    I want to decide if it's worth bidding for money to get a course with video, or just carry on using You Tube style video stuff.

2. veverett

What nobody?
    Is it that people are so used to playing soundtracks that we don't think it's wierd?
    Or is nobody using the new textbooks that come with video? Or is the video not a big part of it?

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Or perhaps that everyone has gone on holiday! [​IMG]
    Seriously though, I use video clips I find online (bbc clipzone and at times youtube, depending on the age - I really like the france24 channel on youtube for A-level). I've not encountered resources selling videos, and to be fair I don't think I would have the money to buy them anyway. My school investigated the Channel 4 whole-school video package but I decided it wasn't good enough for MFL resources.

4. I have been getting emails from thisislanguage.com and it looks potentially promising. Boardworks also have some video but I find it clumsy to use. I agree the Channel 4 service is not brilliant, at least for French, as when I looked at it it seemed mainly to be excerpts from their "Extra" series, which is now a bit long in the tooth and a bit hackneyed, IMO. I do think there is a gap in the market here.

5. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I found the occasional videos on Kerboodle A-level preferable to pure audio and I am sure that in principle video would be better. Evidence from child language acquisition suggests acquisition may be quicker in some ways when there is visual support.
    How often will children go on to listen to the radio in the future?
    I didn't know that any courses used video much. They should.
    Even just having a person talking to camera improves attention e.g. video quizzes from Helen Myers' school, Ashcombe.
    Just as an aside: not sure I agree with individual listening facilities for A-level. Why have them at A-level but not GCSE? Good solution? How about video recording played to students who all get the same number of listens e.g. three. A bit more costly, but not that much if it's just a read-to-camera.

6. I know that my experience is not directly comparable. However in the last couple of years I have studied 2 Open University laanguage courses. One came with about a dozen audio CDs and the other with a CD containing games exercises and videos. The videos which were used in the same ways as the audio cds were a breath of fresh air. They gave context and authenticity, but most important visual support to comprehension. It is so much easier to understand if you can see the person speaking.
    Also it is a much more enjoyable experience compared to disembodied voice(s).

7. veverett

Hmmm... I was thinking of courses for KS3 like Clic and Studio that come with a video instead/as well as listenings. Are they any good?

8. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

It was one of the things that got me hooked on MFL originally at High School. I remember that we used to watch people wandering round French cities asking the way, it somehow made it more real. When I use the videos from GCSE Kerboodle, I let my pupils watch the video first, then we watch it a second time with just the voice, then possibly a 3rd time to go through the answers. Multiple choice answers working really well recently - then harder questions based on the same material for higher.

9. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Oh I've done cloze texts on videos before such as Baby Lily's 'Les Betises and Bisous d'Eskimo to help with pronunciation - all ideas I've got from the TES forum here.