1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Video editing software for PC

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by carlauctc, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Hi,

Can anyone recommend any decent open source video editing software for PC?

The macs in our department are on their last legs & with no funding heading our way the days of fantastic films produced on i-movie & final cut seemed to be numbered. The powers that be are keen to replace the macs with PCs using open source software but I'm concerned it won't do the job for the GCSE & A-level Media students.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thank you.

2. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

Is MovieMaker no good?

3. I haven't used movie maker since the late 90's and it was horrendous then. No idea what it is like now.
    I would recommend Adobe Premiere Elements (its cheap and easy to use), but you need a fairly decent PC to run it.
    OR
    Magix, kind of similar, with a few more features. Also cheap. You can download product demos off the companies websites, might be a good idea to see if they will run.
    I would recommend, from experience - install the two seperate programs on two different PCs. I installed both on one machine and they conflicted with each other.

4. Honestly....don't bother with open source, movie maker is useless too if students are saving on a network (I have a NAS and even that has its problems with MM). I have tried soooo many open source programs and I've yet to find one for video that is suitable for use with KS4 and 5. Pinnacle Videospin is free and great on standalone machines but caused massive issues with our kick script for some reason and was very memory heavy. Blender (which has a noodle for compositing and a linear editor) is fantastic but you'd have to spend some time getting into it so that you're students could use it - but it would take more time to learn the interface than you'd have on any given course (I've been using it for 4 years and still have much to learn). WAX is great too but again not very user friendly - chromakey is great though.
    I have been teaching a very practical curriculum for the last 7 years and you're not going to do the students (or yourself) any favours by constantly changing software because its unstable, causes conflicts or doesnt do what you expect it to. You will have to go back to your leadership team and ask for a budget for software. When you do, go for Adobe Premier Elements (Im just upgrading to 11) - you can get version 4 really cheaply and there are loads of plug ins too. Even if you have a limited number of machines up and running you could have a rolling budget to get a computer suite up to spec in a few years (thats how I built my 'empire' mwoahahaha)
    There are some examples on my site if you get a few minutes (just remember that all videos have been heavily compressed!) made using adobe pe.
    http://swanwickhallmedia.weebly.com/