1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

video conferencing

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by donksdoodles, Nov 29, 2010.

1. My head of department is keen for us to make contact with schools abroad using video conferencing. I would be extremely grateful if anyone has any tips for how they have used this in the past, including the topics you have spoken about. My main concern at the moment is that there will be 60 camera shy teenagers and an awkward silence!!

I appreciate that there are many issues with technology and compatability, but this question relates to topic areas / activities for use in a video conference between two classes. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

2. My head of department is keen for us to make contact with schools abroad using video conferencing. I would be extremely grateful if anyone has any tips for how they have used this in the past, including the topics you have spoken about. My main concern at the moment is that there will be 60 camera shy teenagers and an awkward silence!!

I appreciate that there are many issues with technology and compatability, but this question relates to topic areas / activities for use in a video conference between two classes. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

4. dalej

dalej New commenter

5. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

The Global Gateway site is meant to be a way of finding partner schools.

6. Hiring a conference service is not an issue but you may not have fully control on it and all video conference management will be done on other company server. better is to develop a custom video conferencing system and integrate it with conference manager like VQ Conference Manager. this will provide one way and multiparty conference system

7. dalej

dalej New commenter

8. I was involved in a video-conferencing project with Futurelab a few years ago called 'iya-ola': www2.futurelab.org.uk/projects/iya-ola/details. You can read the research that was done and download an information gap activity for you and your Spanish partner school. You have to work with your Spanish partner to complete the games. We looked at language and intercultural awareness - it was good fun to make!