1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Victorian Drama - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'English' started by celebrity_gossip_fan, Apr 15, 2012.

1. I've just taken over an AS class, preparing them for Section A (contextual linking) of the exam. The board is AQA and the paper is LITA1A, Texts in Context: Victorian Literature)
    I haven't taught this paper before, and I wondered if anyone has any suggestions for plays to look at as wider reading?
    I think I'm doing ok on the poetry and the prose but I'm a bit stuck on the drama as the Victorians are not my area of expertise at all!
    I would not need to read the play in its entirity, merely provide an extract which would hit one of the Victorian 'concerns' (e.g. religion, industrial revolution, role of women etc)
    They have already studied Mrs Warren's Profession and A Doll's House, so ideally no Ibsen or Shaw.

Thank you so much, I am fairly panicked about this as the exam is looming!

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Melodrama? The Murder in the Red Barn, perhaps?

3. The Importance of Being earnest?

4. One of Tom Taylor's, but not the obvious one.

Or maybe the obvious one.

5. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Mary E Braddon's Lady Audley's Secret was dramaticised(?) and a popular then, if I've correctly recalled from my Victorian Literature class.