1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Victorian Day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by manologirl, Jan 15, 2008.

1. We're having a 'Victorian Day' as part of our history in year 3 and I'm struggling to think of enough things to keep them occupied for the whole day. We've thought of things like playground games (if its dry) such as hopscotch and we will change our maths lessons to simply learning tables etc but any other inspirational ideas from people who have done this before?
    (Also any display ideas are very welcome!)
    Thanks in advance.
    PS. We have very limited resources in our school

2. We're having a 'Victorian Day' as part of our history in year 3 and I'm struggling to think of enough things to keep them occupied for the whole day. We've thought of things like playground games (if its dry) such as hopscotch and we will change our maths lessons to simply learning tables etc but any other inspirational ideas from people who have done this before?
    (Also any display ideas are very welcome!)
    Thanks in advance.
    PS. We have very limited resources in our school

3. Our Year 6 have a Victorian day. The boys and girls come in through different doors and have their hands checked to see if they are clean. (You have to prime them that you're going to all act out roles during the day and you get some that play along by being dirty, naughty etc!)The head comes along in his gown and cane and inspects the class 'reprimanding' naughty children, the children have to get up when a member of staff enters the room. Don't know if you have slates but you could use paper, they do copperplate handwriting practise copied from board. They do drill exercises on yard plus Victorian playtime games. They make soda bread, veg soup and cinder toffee. They also do some work on pounds, shillings etc but probably too hard for Year 3. Hope this helps.

4. We had a Victorian Day - last term - if you send me your email I'll send you the itinery we did.

Lots of standing up when teachers and adults came in, lining up with boys and girls separate, checking hands, fingers and knees for dirt. We did copying the Lords Prayer, Maths Lesson - reciting times tables etc, Lots of prayers and singing Onward Christian Soldiers -

in the afternoon - by this time I was exhausted being so nasty all the time and humiliating - but we did girls - sewing and cross stitch - and the boys did - making straw boaters - measuring and sticking and gluing - (we made them out of card - with bordette round them).

Boys sat on one half of class romm and girls the other half - cleverest at the front and ' thickies ' at the back with the Dunce hat on.

Playtime yeh did hopscotch, hoops, and marbles - kids loved it.

Oh and they wanted the cane all the time - if fact broke cane on the desk hitting it so hard.

5. sorry forgot to say have a good day anyway - the children will really remember this. and it was good to reflect on the next day how they felt.

6. HI - just searched for Victorian Day help - would you mind emailing me your itinary? lupolucy@hotmail.com

Cheers, Lucy

7. Can I get a copy of anything that's going too?
    matt.edwards@hotmail.co.uk
    Thanks! :eek:)

8. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

If you've still got it - can I have a copy of your day's plan?
    Many thanks.

9. Grolta

Grolta New commenter

We covered our classroom whiteboard (not the IWB!) with black board backing paper so that we could use chalk.