1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Very young HT's and PT's

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by segbog, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Mince - and you know it!

2. It takes years of experience and having to actually live longer than 5 minutes. Why am I arguing this nonsense? Older teachers, are older, ergo, no more about life. Somebody reply with something stupid please.

3. But he had no more time than 30 years olds do now in which to make an impression...

4. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Stupidity here we go [​IMG] good teachers are born,natural motivators with inspiring personalities which most kids will warm to, but they don't have the people skills required to deal with unruly,insolent, defiant (ordinary??) kids in the class when they are only a few years older than them and still wet behind the ears.
    To all of you guys who taught Higher from day 2 of your teaching career (that's sarcasm btw) well done - but do you not agree that you have got better at it with experience? I think segbog is referring to younger colleaugues with little life experience due to their youth rather than those among us who have not done the S-U-S route.
    Fred, you said in an earlier post "...all teachers should have Masters degrees..." do you really believe that? If so we disagree! Most teachers of practical subjects, who trained prior to 1980-ish have 3 year diplomas, which have stood us in excellent stead for the last 30+ years (of course, what you said may have been tongue in cheek [​IMG])
    Honestly guys, there are good, bad, ugly, pretty, dedicated, brown-noses in every occupation - if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.....................

5. The only great leap of imagination I find I have to take is in understanding how little kids who take Higher English actually read.

6. And how to spell, usually. Besides, experience isn't a product of age but of, well, experience. Some people can be very old but not have learned or seen much in the process and some can be very young and have a horrifying array of experience to draw upon.

7. We lassie two doors down from me last session - probabationer, three foot nothing, about 22. Had every class she took in the palm of her hand, including an S2 that struck fear into older and so called wiser teachers. She did it by being clear about her expectations, following the discipline policy to the letter and being nice to the kids when they did what she wanted. She was great - and while she didn't have a Higher class, she got perfectly good results out of Int 2.
    Of course there were insulting jobsworths who gossiped about her "being wet behind the ears", but they were just jealous because six months in she was better than they'd ever been.

8. jonowen

Wonderful - there are always exceptions and I stand corrected.
    em, I need to correct you now.......it's WEE mac. and three feet [​IMG]

9. I stand corrected too. However, TES netiquette guidelines state:
    "Try not to criticise another user's grammar or spelling."
    Thanks for disabusing me of that notion so soon after joining the forums. I see that petty points scoring (or should that be point scoring?) is as important as substantive discussion.

10. jonowen

Sorry mcmullet - I'm old school (five feet nothing, much older than 22 sadly [​IMG] and I like to think I have my S2 wild class under control most of the time!)
    Welcome to the forum - please don't let my earlier reply to you put you off more contributions - there are other and more blunt posters on here but just give as good as you get [​IMG]
    Joni x

11. Don't take it personally, mcmullet, Joni is one of the good guys - I read her post as a tongue in cheek remark regarding an earlier post in the topic.
    As to the topic in hand, actually, I'd say in Modern Languages for example, that being fresh into the profession can be an advantage for teaching Higher/Advanced Higher given that you are more likely to have been living in the country of that language more recently than older/wiser colleagues and have a, dare I say it, better grasp of the language annd knowledge of the culture. The longer I've been teaching, the less confident I feel in my knowledge. Nothing a wee trip to France wont sort out - wine tasting trip anyone?
    The problem with generalisations is that they are oversimplified and, well, generalisations.

12. jonowen

gee thanks mossop! [​IMG] when do we cross the channel?

13. Thank you. Ruffled feathers smoothed. [​IMG]

14. jonowen

Do you want to come to France with us?
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure Mossop won't mind!

15. That's a bit too heavy for a first date... [​IMG]

16. See, I think this answers the OP. Not all the "young, pretty, blondes" he complains about are promoted; only the exceptional ones, and these ones obviously were.
    I was in an acting promoted post for a while once. Hated it, and was okay at it but not great. Woman twelve years younger than me got the permanent post and she was excellent.
    No complaints about younger people getting jobs they deserve or being given a chance to prove themselves one step up the ladder.

17. TheBigA

TheBigA New commenter

How can you know that unless you work with her?
    I once had a headteacher tell me they would throw an application for a promoted post in the bin if the person had less than five years experience.
    Being young shouldn't exclude someone from being promoted given that we all flourish and develop at different rates and in different ways. However, I did hear of someone being promoted to PT pupil support in their early 20's and with only a year or so worth of experience. I have to admit I did wonder whether they could have to skills or experience to do that job properly.

18. Me too and I felt vaguely guilty for a moment! I don't often make a big deal out of spelling (my own typos are far too frequent to take the high ground!) but when someone is criticising a young English teacher's ability to teach Higher it seemed kinda relevant to the topic.

19. I wasn't criticising a young English teacher's ability.

20. If you read my post again, you'll see that I suggest that there are clues in the OP's post and that perhaps I DO know the teacher described. However, if the OP is describing another teacher, I am therefore simply saying that I DO know a young, blonde, Renfrewshire PT who is great at her job.
    Does that make it clear? I don't see where your criticism of me is coming from; is it wrong of me to say that I do know a good, young PT who I may work with or may have worked with? Where are you coming from with this comment?