1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Very unexpected interview...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by VelvetChalk, Jun 2, 2012.

1. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

I applied for a job a month ago which was 2x EYFS and 1x year in a very well known school in my area. I did not get an interview and thought no more about it. Yesterday I was rang by the HT's PA explaining they had funding for a year 2 job and would I be interested in coming to interview. Of course I gladly accepted (30 minute lesson with 20 children then interview).

I am little confused though as..

a) I have heaps of experience in year 1 a post I wasn't good enough for before, yet I am actually better suited to year 2 in their eyes? I also feel like I am second choice and the just glazed through old applications and pulled me out an random. That, if it was up to them they would rather interview someone else.

b) My dream old school's closing date for my ideal job is the day of interview. I would accept this job if offered but I cant help but think I have a really good chance in my dream school, which interviews 2 weeks after this interview I have.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the school and I am over the moon about another interview but I feel weird for some reason.

Thoughts?

2. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

I applied for a job a month ago which was 2x EYFS and 1x year in a very well known school in my area. I did not get an interview and thought no more about it. Yesterday I was rang by the HT's PA explaining they had funding for a year 2 job and would I be interested in coming to interview. Of course I gladly accepted (30 minute lesson with 20 children then interview).

I am little confused though as..

a) I have heaps of experience in year 1 a post I wasn't good enough for before, yet I am actually better suited to year 2 in their eyes? I also feel like I am second choice and the just glazed through old applications and pulled me out an random. That, if it was up to them they would rather interview someone else.

b) My dream old school's closing date for my ideal job is the day of interview. I would accept this job if offered but I cant help but think I have a really good chance in my dream school, which interviews 2 weeks after this interview I have.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the school and I am over the moon about another interview but I feel weird for some reason.

Thoughts?

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I got a job a couple of weeks ago. I was called by the head the day before the interview and she quite openly stated that I hadnt been short listed but ppl had dropped out and would I like to come along? At first I felt a bit miffed I hadn't been short listed (even more so when I found out that someone who had been had no experience in the KS AT ALL!) but my current head said to forget about that on the day and give it my best. I basically went in trying to prove to them ow stupid they'd been not to short list me in the first place....it worked and I got the job, in the year group I wanted!!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Good for you!
    I just wanted to say, also, that shortlisting is not an exact science and becomes even less so when a school gets a lot of applicants (as many primary schools do these days). No matter how systematic the head/governors try to be, a really good candidate might well slip through the net - and if anyone is rung up in this manner later, you should put it down to your having slipped through that net, rather than 'I wasn't good enough before, but now...'

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Velvet - my view is that you have written a good application, shown that you have plenty to offer the school, and they have recognised that.
    No, you didn't get interviewed in thew first round. But if they had had 50 applicants, or 100, or even more, itr is so easy to flick through the pile and miss a really good person.
    They are, in my view, lucky to have found you now!
    Good luck!
    Best wishes