1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Very surprised that I have had no decision-am I old school?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by reallifegetsintheway, Feb 10, 2016.

1. reallifegetsintheway

reallifegetsintheway New commenter

I had an interview at a top indy last week. No decision has been received either by email /phone/ letter (of course I know its a 'no' by now). I have rung HR and emailed yesterday. I think it is very rude. Am I old school to expect at least a 'dear John' email? I spent ages on here, doing research (thank you TheoGriff) and preparing the lesson.

2. alla_ova

alla_ova Occasional commenter

Some top private schools give a warning that they won’t contact unsuccessful candidates and won’t respond to their emails.

(I hope it’s not your case!!)

3. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

That's disappointing. It's quite normal to ignore candidates who aren't shortlisted (and I suppose I can see why this is): however, when they've taken the trouble to interview you with, what, four other candidates, it is a shame they can't stoop to a standard letter or even a formulaic email!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I do not know of any school that has a stated policy of not contacting unsuccessful candidates after interview.

If they don't do it, it is sheer discourtesy, in my view. Probably A thought B was doing it . . .

In my school the policy was that the Head told the unsuccessful candidates (not a pleasant task, so goes to the Head), whereas the line manager (HoD, DH, etc) told the successful one, as that was always a happy occasion!

Why don't schools write back when you apply, or ring after an interview?

Not at all. And I am surprised that HR hasn't got back to you very apologetically.

Best wishes

GLsghost likes this.
  5. alla_ova

[This comment/section has been removed - named school]

School website - vacancies – job description -

"Please note, in light of the considerable number of applications that our School is pleased to receive for all positions advertised, we will not enter into correspondence with unsuccessful applicants regarding reasons why they were not appointed or interviewed."

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2016
  6. alla_ova

TheoGriff,
    just thought that although they don’t explain why they didn’t appoint, that doesn’t mean they can’t write a quick note “thank you, but no”?

GLsghost likes this.
  7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

They're not so "top" in some aspects, are they?

sabrinakat likes this.
  8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Absolutely not!

They are saying that they do not provide feedback. And actually saying that they don't give feedback as to why someone who was interviewed wasn't appointed because of the large numbers of applications that they get actually does not make sense . . .

;)

But feedback is often not much use anyway.

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

Best wishes

9. alla_ova

Thank you!!
    (I sent you a PM).

10. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

It is very rude.

This happened to me once (also an independent school); never heard anything back from them, and then saw that the position had been readvertised. As I was obviously still job seeking, did they think I wasn't going to notice?!

11. alla_ova

I don’t think they care. :-(

Btw, did you reapply?

12. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Tut tut tut! I know which school it is - I recognise the wording. Unless one HR dept is copying and pasting from another...

I applied for a position in 2010, and at least got a letter in the post that confirmed I wasn't shortlisted! Shame they decided to drop this courtesy.

13. reallifegetsintheway

reallifegetsintheway New commenter

Thank you all. I agree it is rude. Back to the adverts for me!

14. splinters

splinters Established commenter

This happened to me a few years ago, I was already past the notice date in my (then) current position but the Head was very understanding. However, it was 3 weeks after interview before I finally gave in and rang up only to be told they had not made a decision yet as the Head had left. I duly withdrew myself from the process as it was then too late to give notice. The job went to a guy who had been finished on capability...this was a HOD role.
    A year later I was not surprised to see that the job was readvertised. They had a new Head so I applied again....didn't even get shortlisted. So either the quality of applicant improved....or they remembered my stern email from the year before....
    I have since learnt not to chase up schools after interview or follow up with slightly 'damning' emails....bridges and all that.

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Why, yes!

If a candidate wrote a letter or e-mail that I felt was inappropriate in tone or content, then I would disqualify any further application, as I would fear that inappropriate communications with colleagues or parents might be a possibility.

Best wishes

16. splinters

splinters Established commenter

It wasn't that bad @TheoGriff just pointing out how unprofessional it was to leave it so long when they knew I was already 'over my notice period' at the discretion of my Head of school who, it has to be said, was very patient. The school actually sent an apology with an explanation of the 'events' so I didn't think I had done any harm....until the following year.
    Lesson learnt though.

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

:D

Dear Headteacher

I wish to apply for the post of Teacher in your school. You will remember that last year I pointed out that your school was run in a most unprofessional manner, but I am now nonetheless keen to be on the staff, and enclose my completed application form and Executive Summary. Please consider this to be my letter of application.

Yours sincerely

A. Splinters

:D

You must admit that it does have a special air about it, as applications go!

Best wishes

18. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I think it would irritate a tad. Just a smidge.

19. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

No, I agree with you: especially in these days where an email is quick and cost-effective, courtesy should be a basic expectation.

20. alla_ova

Hehe!! :D

The position I had applyed for was re-advertised five months later (not surprised). Hope they are being more professional this time (I didn't apply though - they killed my faith in humanity lol).

debjames2013 likes this.