1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Very Small Group GCSE Classes

Discussion in 'English' started by MissPob, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Hi all, I've got quite an unusual challenge here and was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat or has any ideas.
    I've just been appointed at a new school and have been tasked with taking over (from Monday) some C/D borderline GCSE English classes (WJEC), but rather than taking the full class of 23, they will be in tiny groups of 6 or 7. This is a major investment by the school, and they expect Cs or above from every kid!
    I think it's a teacher's dream come true to have 6 or 7 kids instead of 23.. I think that it probably will take a different approach than a big class would do and was wondering about how best to go about it, any one got any ideas? I am really up for sharing resources if anyone else is doing a similar thing.
    Thanks

2. Just in case anyone's interested... Have tried a few things seating wise- kids sitting round a boardroom style table, spread out across the room as far apart as poss,sitting close together at the front and different activities like full group collaborative writing, lots of discussions, snowballs (individual to pair to full group) and what I've learned is- it totally depends on the class dynamic. Personalities are magnified and totally dominate how small group teaching goes.
    One class- daft/ lazy Y11 boys require discipline, structure, lots of behaviour policy application, teacher led lessons (unfortunately)
    Another class- lower ability Y10, lots of "characters"- love the individal attention, feeling special, full class discussions, role play, relating things to their own lives.
    Another- bonkers foul behaviour I've yet to crack!! This one is hard cos only in small group with me for 2 lessons a week and other 2 lessons still in normal class with the teacher they've had all year. prob accounts for difficulty in settling with me.
    Interesting times. Hope they all get their Cs!