1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Very Sensitive Situation

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by jago123, Nov 14, 2017.

1. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

There will be many on here wishing you strength for tomorrow.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Such a sad thing to have to face for you all. But it is part of life and inevitable that we all encounter premature death at some time. I'm sure you will all support one another.

3. Italianophile

Italianophile New commenter

What a sad story - but it sounds like you handled it with sensitivity and humanity.

4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Thank you for your kind messages of support. I did the briefing this morning- it’s 45 minutes on a Monday so the majority of it was consumed by the news of the colleague’s passing. Obviously the members of the colleague’s department were informed yesterday by phone call that they had passed away- the rest of the school today. Very emotional day and I’m glad it’s over.
    The school chaplain is organising a memorial service for the colleague to take place in the new year and a bench will be erected in memory of the teacher.

We will know funeral arrangements sometime this week where I will be closing the school for the day to enable staff members to attend to pay their respects.

I have also spoken with the LA and they’ve also confirmed the query I had before in which the colleague will ‘remain’ on the payroll until the end of the term and the salary payment to be paid directly to the colleague’s spouse which is usual protocol.

5. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

A difficult situation for you all but it sounds like you are handling it thoughtfully, which will be appreciated by everyone around you.

freckle06 and Sundaytrekker like this.
  6. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

@jago123 - very sad, thoughts with her family, you and your staff and the kids in the school too.

Something similar happened to me in my first year of teaching - a colleague died suddenly and unexpectedly, though as a result of an underlying medical condition (it was actually reported in TES at the time.) It was during the holidays, so there was time to prepare, but my HT was brilliant. We had assemblies first for her classes, then for each of the stages of the school. In the department, on our first day back, our classes were covered if we needed them to be, though we all chose to teach. My colleague's classes were moved from her own classroom for a week, so it was left as it was until her family were able and ready to come in and collect her belongings - they wanted to do this during the school time so they could meet the kids. Not an easy time and I still get upset thinking about it now, five years later.

7. jago123

The funeral date has been set and I will be informing the school community of school closure via the newsletter that will be released on Friday.

I have also today advertised the teacher’s role online- the person who was covering their classes was on a temporary contract which expires in December and they have secured a permanent teaching post to start in January.
    They would have been offered the permanent role at my school, however, their new school is nearer to home for them so it makes more sense.

8. jago123

The funeral took place last Friday and although a very sad occasion, it was fantastic to see a great turnout by colleagues paying their final respects to the teacher who passed away so much so, it was standing room only in the church. The service was followed by a private cremation.

The family had asked myself and the colleague the deceased was closest to, to deliver an eulogy and it was a massive honour to be able to do this.

The memorial of the colleague will be erected in January followed by a blessing from the local priest. We also continue to support the family during this tough time.