1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Very reluctant Y2 writer

Discussion in 'Primary' started by misssunshine84, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Hi there
    I have a boy in my class who I'm struggling with just need a bit of advice really.The problems only just come about because the majority of this year he has not been in school full time as he has been having chemo. he has just started back full time, I understand its an exceptional situation and his health is far more important than anything else.But now he is back I want him to settle back into work again as much as possible.
    My main concern is getting him to write.The Y1 teacher previosuly found this hard too. Part of the problem is he is a super reader and can pick up anything and read it . But writing he finds hard I think it frustrates him that he cannot write to the same standard of the books he reads. So because he thinks he cant do it, he just won't. We have spelling test every friday and yesterdays was the first one he has been in for I think, he made some attempt to spell the first few then just gave up and sat there till the end not writing. The fact he got 1 out of 10 didnt seem to bother him as he had already resigned himself to getting 0.Speaking to mum at parents evening she struggles with this too, he just refuses and kicks off if he has to write anything. He doesnt want to write things that he cannot spell so he just won't write at all.
    Back in September when we looked at superheroes and wrote superhero stories, I modelled our story using his plan and he was very motivated to write because of this for which we made a big fuss of him for and he got headteachers sticker and suchlike and after that I made a point of keeping mentioning his good writing. I thought we were really getting somewhere.But then following this he had months off and we're back to square one again.
    My TA sits with him on the morning, but its a real struggle. He tells her his ideas she writes it on a whiteboard then he copies it. Ideally though I want to get over this barrier and get him writing more independently. Any ideas please ? I dont expect miracles but even if I could just get him to think of himself as a good writer that would be enough.
    Thanks for any replies

2. Hi there
    I have a boy in my class who I'm struggling with just need a bit of advice really.The problems only just come about because the majority of this year he has not been in school full time as he has been having chemo. he has just started back full time, I understand its an exceptional situation and his health is far more important than anything else.But now he is back I want him to settle back into work again as much as possible.
    My main concern is getting him to write.The Y1 teacher previosuly found this hard too. Part of the problem is he is a super reader and can pick up anything and read it . But writing he finds hard I think it frustrates him that he cannot write to the same standard of the books he reads. So because he thinks he cant do it, he just won't. We have spelling test every friday and yesterdays was the first one he has been in for I think, he made some attempt to spell the first few then just gave up and sat there till the end not writing. The fact he got 1 out of 10 didnt seem to bother him as he had already resigned himself to getting 0.Speaking to mum at parents evening she struggles with this too, he just refuses and kicks off if he has to write anything. He doesnt want to write things that he cannot spell so he just won't write at all.
    Back in September when we looked at superheroes and wrote superhero stories, I modelled our story using his plan and he was very motivated to write because of this for which we made a big fuss of him for and he got headteachers sticker and suchlike and after that I made a point of keeping mentioning his good writing. I thought we were really getting somewhere.But then following this he had months off and we're back to square one again.
    My TA sits with him on the morning, but its a real struggle. He tells her his ideas she writes it on a whiteboard then he copies it. Ideally though I want to get over this barrier and get him writing more independently. Any ideas please ? I dont expect miracles but even if I could just get him to think of himself as a good writer that would be enough.
    Thanks for any replies