1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

very quick question

Discussion in 'Primary' started by crazycatlady101, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Hi, I have an interview and have been asked to share a book with an interactive lesson. Do you think this is a literacy lesson or could it be anything? I would like to base it on PSHE but if they are expecting literacy that won't go down very well! [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. Hi, I have an interview and have been asked to share a book with an interactive lesson. Do you think this is a literacy lesson or could it be anything? I would like to base it on PSHE but if they are expecting literacy that won't go down very well! [​IMG]
    Thanks

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

seems a bitg contradictory to me... share a book yet interactive? How long do you have? I would ask the school if not sure, or if you're more confident, I would go down the lines of history/literacy/PSHE.

4. Maybe try http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/FindBook that has some free e-books. Some also offer activities at the end of a book that is interactive and allows for child interaction to assess or develop understanding of the book and plot. May be of use, depending on age group!

5. Always worth ringing and asking. If they want to clarify they will. As a Head I'm guessing they are looking to see what type of teacher you are and how you would take this. I know though we are all different. My other advice is go and teach in a way you feel comfortable. If they like it you will do well there, if they don't then it's not the right school for you. Hard I know when jobs are in such short supply but their values have to meet yours otherwise you are all going to be very unhappy!
    Good luck!

6. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

From my experience of interviews it doesn't matter so much which subject/topic you choose but more how you teach. They will be looking at how you make it interactive - bits for the children to join in with, act out, talk about etc. They will also be looking to see if the children make progress and move forward in their learning so I would be inclined to pick a learning objective that will be easy to demonstrate that they have got it at the end (literacy is easier than PSHE for this). Even though they have only asked you to share a book they want to see that the children learn something and all take part in the activity. What year group is it for?

7. Could you "share a book" by telling a story you have rehearsed and involving the children interactively. We have 'story sacks' at school with props etc in and one (I think it's the pig in the pond) has a plant water sprayer in that we spray the children with at a certain point - they love it!

8. Its for a Reception class.
    I think I'm going to phone the school and just check if it is literacy. It should look good that I am being proactive - right?
    Thank you for all of your advice.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't phone the school, because I think it would make me look stupid. They didn't specify a subject and so don't mind what you do. However, it isn't my interview.

I would share a book and get the children involved in reading/telling the story. They act out bits, show you what happens next, collect items from around the room as props, all that sort of thing. I'd say interactive just means that they don't want you to simply read the children a story.

10. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I agree with minnieminx it probably means to involve the children in the story. Maybe in a Pie Corbett type of way? Agree a set of actions at the beginning of the story and the children do them when they hear those words?

11. My friend had a similar interview. She used an Oliver Jeffers book and then had an activity making things from the story out of pre-cut shapes. They loved it and she got the job.

I have also heard of friends looking at the Pie Corbett type stuff of reading a story and getting children to do actions alongside it.

Good luck :)

12. I had an interview like this. I used a Speaking & Listening objective and read the first few pages of a book before stopping and asking the children to think of a question to ask the main character about what had gone on so far (talk partners). We then shared these and I let them in on the ending of the story but I didn't actually read the whole thing! This was just a 15 min lesson though.

13. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

14. Yes indeed ringing a school is proactive. It also shows you are willing to ask for help - very important!