1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Very painful dry nose/sinuses

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Bonnie23, May 11, 2018.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

I have a bit of a strange query. I have extremely dry nasal passages, (sorry for the future points) basically my snot is extremely dry and comes out in clumps and there is no moisture in my passage ways. This causes sinus problems with ear ache and pains behind my eyes as well. I'm going to the doctors as soon as I can get an appointment (been trying for two weeks) but this has been going on for years.

Is there a homemade solution I could make for my nose? Extended use of over the counter nasal sprays can cause a lot more damage and aren't meant for prolonged use.

TIA
    B x

2. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Your house might be quite dry. Have you tried maybe getting a humidifier?

Also steam inhalation and a neti pot might help x

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm thinking of trying a neti pot. I was going .to suggest it for you too.

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

5. Bonnie23

Thank you all. I've tried a humidifier at home but I work in a very dry classroom (D&T) where I can't really do anything about the environment.

Definitely going to try to use the netipot! Any tips/advice?

6. strawbs

7. Bonnie23

Thank you @strawbs I've ordered the same one, the squeezy. Hopefully I'll see an improvement!

8. Bonnie23

@strawbs thank you thank you thank you. I got my squeezy, been using it for two days and the difference is unreal! I haven't been able to breath like this in YEARS and my sinuses haven't been hurting which is amazing!

9. strawbs

excellent!! glad you have found it useful. i tend to use it 2x a day for a few weeks when my sinuses are bad/have a cold, then wean myself off it for a bit.