1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Very nervous NQT

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by surfblue33, May 30, 2019.

1. surfblue33

surfblue33 New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm a mature career changer and NQT who is starting her first teaching role next Monday after taking a year out to do supply after qualifying.
    The training year was so hard with 90 hour working weeks whilst looking after my family. I'm starting to stress about the workload and the impact this will have on my marriage and home life.
    I am basically looking for some good vibes, advice on the do's and don'ts during my NQT year and would also like to know if there is anyone out there who has been in a similar boat and managed to stay afloat.
    Thank you

2. Lalaland05

Lalaland05 New commenter

Hi Surfblue33,

Just completed my NQT. The training is the worse part! NQT year is actually not that bad. Take on any advice they give and fix whatever they suggest. That’s my biggest advice for you.

3. surfblue33

surfblue33 New commenter

Thank you so much for your reply and advice. Will do, and congratulations on finishing your NQT year.

4. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Don’t stress, you will be fine. I was a mature career changer too, bringing up children on my own. It really isn’t that bad (no more essays to write for starters!)
    I read Sue Cowley’s book which is absolutely brilliant:
    AAA74596-F3AA-48A6-A111-DF754F8F1313.jpeg
    There are also some good tips in this article:
    EA13A212-2E80-4643-BE06-3DEE78AED7AE.jpeg
    These are the sort of tips you will find:

D79DA9F1-2F99-4B59-B8D6-0B766976628C.jpeg
    Good luck! Enjoy it!

5. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

6. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

'Daisy, please do invite your father into school to '@#$# me up'. I know for a fact that Mr X (the Head of the school) is a black belt, and he told me your father is a #$ssy anyway.' He always protects his staff.

OneLooseCrank likes this.
  7. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

If you’ve done supply, you should have no problem with the children. As for staff, just spend time with the positive ones who love the job and still have a social life. Avoid the corner of the staff room wherein sit the twitchy, paranoid types who jump at loud noises and insist that all the students have three generations of genetic malformation.

My key advice is - look at the school calendar and get a sense for the flow of the year. Plan everything so you have to do as little as possible during busy periods, and make use of the easier times for bigger jobs. It’s easy to get hit by a tidal wave of deadlines you could have predicted.

Landshark7 likes this.
  8. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Training is the most time-consuming and tiring year of all. You've got research to do, essays to write and write-ups of how your lessons went to do on top of having to do all the usual parts of the job. You're also in a situation where:
    • you don't know the curriculum very well so it's harder for you to plan sequences of lessons
    • you have to write lesson plans from scratch as you can't look back at the lesson plans for lessons you taught before and just adapt them
    • you aren't familiar with the various schemes your school uses so it takes longer to work out what to do for each lesson
    • you don't have any written resources you've used before (and know work well) so you have to search for some or make them up
    • you won't know what equipment the school has or where it's stored
    • you don't know the staff very well so it's not yet obvious who to go to for advice on specific aspects of the curriculum.
    All these thing become much less time-consuming as you gain more experience. It's also much easier to teach when you have your own classroom and you have organised it in a way that suits you.

It's completely normal to be nervous at this stage in your teaching career. Your colleagues will remember the beginning of their teaching careers and will be able to help you out with advice or letting you know where things are kept if you ask them.

Landshark7 likes this.
  9. surfblue33

surfblue33 New commenter

Thank you everyone for your reassurance and advice. I am a bit calmer now, have stocked up my freezer with lots of precooked dinners, got easy to care for work clothes at the ready and bag is packed.
    I am also telling myself that if I truly hate it I can always complete my year at another school...so there is really no need to panic....famous last words. Seriously though, thank you all again.
    All the best

1 person likes this.
  10. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

You'll be fine.

11. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Yup. Its good that you are taking this seriously. The NQTs that end up having problems are the ones who swan in like Mary Poppins, thinking they are going to change the world, then find it way tougher than they expected, and break.