1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

very long school day - what is the legal requirement?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by issypicken, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Have just started at a new school and am surprised by how much of the day is 'teaching' time......feels like a much longer day than I have done before.
    Kids come in from 8.45 & do an 'early morning task'.
    Register at 8.55.
    Break 10.15-10.30
    Lunch 11.55-12.45
    End of day 3.15
    Scool day is 6hrs 30 mins, of which I am free 65 mins, less if I have a break duty.
    I'm more used to starting at 8.55, an hour for lunch & end at 3.10.
    Is there a legal number of hours that we have to do per day/week in Primary? If so, am I exceeding it? If I am, what can I do about it?

2. Not sure about a "very long school day", it's the same length as mine ( and you are likely to get a raft of people posting about the length of their school day[​IMG]) although our break and lunch are later so we don't finish the morning until 12.15 and start again at 1.10. I don't think there is a limit, as long as your hours are within the directed time budget-obviously the longer the teaching day, the less time in the budget for meetings etc.

3. I found this on the NUT website.

Under the terms of the Pay and Conditions Document, full-time classroom teachers (excluding headteachers or deputy headteachers) are required to be available for work for 195 days in any year.

Of these, 190 days are days on which they may be required to teach pupils in addition to carrying out other duties, while the remaining 5 days are days generally given over to in-service training.

There is a limit of 1265 hours per year upon the working time of classroom teachers. This includes all teaching time and other duties such as curriculum and pastoral management, attending meetings, supervision etc. There is also an obligation upon teachers to work "such additional hours as may be necessary" to discharge their duties which means in particular that most marking and preparation must be carried out in teachers' spare time. The average working week for classroom teachers was shown by recent Review Body surveys to be over 50 hours both for primary and for secondary teachers.

There are no provisions laying down specific working time for headteachers or deputy headteachers. The Review Body survey, however, showed an average working week of over 60 hours for all headteachers.

4. Doesn't seem that bad to me!

5. zozo1

zozo1 New commenter

I have to agree, my working day starts at 8:45 and ends at 3:15 with break being 10:15-10:30 and dinner is 12:30 to 1:15.

6. zozo1

zozo1 New commenter

My day is almost identical to yours except my dinner is 12:30 until 1:15.

7. Im sure there are legal requirements (and limits!) for the amount of teaching hours per day - not for the teacher, but for the children. Its slightly more for KS2 than KS1. Maybe try googling.

8. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

Think yourself lucky to finish at 3.15. We finish at start at 8:50, finish at 3.30 and have less than an hour for lunch!

9. karentee

karentee New commenter

Sounds the same as mine, only difference is our KS1 classes have a 15 minute break in the afternoon, but the staff all have to be with them, KS2 just keep going!.

10. manic28

manic28 New commenter

Now I'm dreaming but I'd like...

8.00am Lesson 1
    9.00am Lesson 2
    10.00am Break
    10.15am Lesson 3
    11.15am Lunch
    12.00pm Lesson 4
    1.00pm Hometime

Although I'm willing to give each lesson an extra 15 mins to push hometime back 'till 2pm. Who wants to work at Manic Primary. I'm interviewing from Thursday.

11. Our day sounds very similar.
    8.55 Register. Morning break at either 10.30 or 10.45 for 15 mins. Lunch 12-12.50 Afternoon play at 2-2.10. Finish 3.15
    My daughters school has dropped the afternoon play in the juniors, so they finish at 3.05.
    I appreciate the playtime for my kids to run around and for me to set out stuff for the next lesson, but I appreciate that my daughter only finishes 5 minutes later than her infant sister when it is cold and I am waiting for them outside the school in the rain.

12. We have
    8.45 Morning Work
    9.00 English
    10.00 Other subject
    10.45 Collective Worship
    11.00 Playtime
    11.15 Maths
    12.15 Lunch
    1.10 Guided Reading
    1.35 Other subjects (sometimes 2!)
    2.55 Story
    3.15 Home

Still can't fit everything in!

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

Mid-morning breaks for teachers are not an entitlement.

14. I know this sounds odd, but I think I'd be less stressed if we had an extra half an hour on the day.
    We have no room to breathe...children are in, registered, assembly, straight to maths, break, straight to phonics, literacy, lunch, register, then you have about 1 hour 50 minutes for the afternoon to fit in guided reading and hopefully two lessons before giving them fruit and pushing them out the door at 3pm. Manic.

15. If they put an extra half an hour on the day - they'd put an extra hour's worth of stuff you needed to fit in there.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

That almost sounds like my school in Cyprus when I was young. Except we worked from 8 till ?12.30, no lunch - just went home.
    Personal experience - OP school sounds like many others I do supply in. 45 - 50 mins for lunch, mid morning break of 15 mins (just enough time to down a hot coffee) and finish about 3.15.

17. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

mine is 9 - 10.40, then break till 10.55 (never happens, cannot get to the kettle)
    1055 - 12.00
    Lunch is 12. 00 - 1.15
    Afternoon is 1.15 till 3.30
    I dont' think your day is much different.

18. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

manic28 - move to Germany, heaven awaits you.

Otherwise stalia mentioned the only requirements: the 1265 hours directed time.
    Take your school day's times (when you are told where and when to be, eg in class, taking a break, waiting for children to be picked up, assembly etc etc but not dinner break), multiply that by 190. Add on your INSET days, 38 weeks of after/before school meetings/briefings which you have to attend and 1265 is your magic number of hours (not for people on the Leadership pay scale unfortunately). Anything over and you can start to complain.
    In the spirit of the thread, we start at 8:40, kids in at 9:10, and finish at 3:30, with a requirement to supervise uncollected children until 3:40, with an hour for lunch. We are within the 1265 hours.

19. Your day is very similar to ours - 5hrs 25 mins contact time whereas ours is 5hrs 20mins. I would find it very hard to fit everything in in less time - we're pushed as it is to deliver a full curriculum. We do finish at 3.30 which is quite annoying when all the schools around us finish at quarter past, or even 3 o'clock, and it makes after school things like sports events and meetings tricky. Personally I think there should be a set school day to make it fair on everyone, although I guess there may be local issues which affect some schools.
    It annoys me more when some schools seem to get more holiday than others! Some schools always seem to break up earlier, go back later and have so called 'twilight' inset.