1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Very jumpy and nervous

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lucywag, Dec 11, 2011.

1. I have always been quite a nervous person and this has happened for as long as I remember but I think it is getting worse.
    I jump very easily, for example when the phone rings or when I am sitting quietly (and relaxed eg reading) and someone opens the door to walk into the room. I jump out of my skin when my dog barks, even when I know he is going to do it. In films and at the theatre even when I can see the gun, when it is shot I jump out of my seat.
    I am an NQT in a primary school and some of the children in my class are quite clingy and grab me or touch me to get my attention. Even though I feel fairly relaxed and calm in my classroom I still jump when they do this when I can't see them coming up behind me!

I am worried because sometimes it is embarrassing. I take fluoxetine for anxiety and depression but it has made no difference with this symptom.
    Does anyone know what is wrong with me and if there's anything I can do about it? I will mention it to my GP when I go next anyway.
    Thank you in advance

2. I have always been quite a nervous person and this has happened for as long as I remember but I think it is getting worse.
    I jump very easily, for example when the phone rings or when I am sitting quietly (and relaxed eg reading) and someone opens the door to walk into the room. I jump out of my skin when my dog barks, even when I know he is going to do it. In films and at the theatre even when I can see the gun, when it is shot I jump out of my seat.
    I am an NQT in a primary school and some of the children in my class are quite clingy and grab me or touch me to get my attention. Even though I feel fairly relaxed and calm in my classroom I still jump when they do this when I can't see them coming up behind me!

I am worried because sometimes it is embarrassing. I take fluoxetine for anxiety and depression but it has made no difference with this symptom.
    Does anyone know what is wrong with me and if there's anything I can do about it? I will mention it to my GP when I go next anyway.
    Thank you in advance

3. Hi
    It is the fight or flight reflex kicking in. Fluoxetine can actually make the symptom worse.
    I bet you have really sharp reflexes generally when they are tested.
    I had this about a year ago due to PTSD (along with other symptoms - I was even jumpy when I was asleep) and eventually found that hypnotherapy helped a lot.
    Good luck.

4. Sounds like it might be part of your anxiety and depression, as I feel the same sometimes (since being signed off with work related stress in Febuary). A few months ago, I got a bit jumpy when someone pushed in front of me in the queue at the Baker's (so ridiculous, as that kind of thing never used to bother me, as in I would get annoyed instead of jumpy over it). Over time, I've found that I've become less jumpy, as the meds kicked in (I'm on a different type to you) and then as I've got better and the dosage has decreased. Have you been on the fluoxetine for long? If not, it may just be that it's still early days for you, or it's one of those symptoms that may take a bit longer to go away (e.g. I keep waking up early in the morning which I never used to do-very frustrating as it takes me a while to wind down at night).

5. Interestingly, if you check out SSRI's on the British National Formulary website ( www.bnf.org) fluoxetine isn't actually recommended for panic disorders. [​IMG] only for depression, bulima and obsessive compulsive disorder!
    I think it may be worth a visit to your gp and ask about an alternative such as Citalopram or Escitalopram or Sertraline (Lustral) all of which give dosages for anxiety and panic disorders.
    The difference in the costs of prescribing these is minimal by the way-all the non branded versions cost less than about £3.50 for 28days supply at the initial recommended dosage. (several being under £2)