1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Very interesting thread on Mumsnet about why teachers want to quit

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Anonymity, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

cissy3 and Ladykaza like this.
  2. AndyPandy99

AndyPandy99 New commenter

Yes I agree this is both sad and true. I could have written so many of the posts on that thread and I wonder how many teachers will have handed in their notice by 31st May 2016?

3. Anonymity

If it weren't for the mortgage and needing to feed the children (and having a teacher dh who feels the same...), I would be handing in my notice.

All I want to do is teach, but I feel straight jacketed into teaching in a style that doesn't suit me to dodge capability (I used to be 'outstanding' - or whatever the term of the day was - now I'm failing).

Some days I think maybe I can't do the job anymore and maybe they're right, but deep down, I know that's not true. I can teach, just not in they style they want.

cissy3 and FolkFan like this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I wonder how many will have done it by the 31st of October 2015 - next week.

It used to be really rare to leave at Christmas, but this board has had loads of tales of people resigning this term, some haven't even waited until the end of term.

At my old school, SMT decided at the start of term to put the screws on one department they decided was failing, the HoD resigned immediately and left within a month, again unheard of previously.

lanokia, drek and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Yes, that thread is so accurate.

I handed in my notice a few weeks ago and to begin with I felt relieved about my decision. The academy where I currently teach is hellish. Now I have made it to half term and whilst I still feel I made the right decision, I feel sad at the same time. I used to be an outstanding teacher and I loved my job. I was respected and trusted. One bad move to a different school and suddenly I'm not good enough. I miss the teacher that I used to be, disappeared now under a mountain of scrutiny, mistrust, pressure, expectations from a failing academy chain that needs to justify itself and the army of idiots that it employs - the majority of which haven't worked in a class teacher role for decades. I wish I had stayed where I was but that school is now becoming an academy so in all likelihood it may go the same way.

I am so sad for this country's children and their education. And teachers like myself. It is all so wrong.

lanokia, cissy3, Dragonlady30 and 2 others like this.
  7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's not the demands of the job so much as the widespread and rampant lack of professionalism in so many areas, particularly in the treatment of subject teachers by management and management's love of poor data.

"Demands of the job" makes it sound like teachers are shirking somewhat. Which is definitely not the case. I also believe the situation is completely unrecoverable.

lanokia, cissy3, drek and 2 others like this.
  8. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Scintillant I sadly concur that it is completely unrecoverable. How the hell do you put this genie back in? Leadership teams are utterly mired in self preservation and will fight like rats to maintain their current importance. If you take away all the **** we do, what do you do with them? Across the public sector there is a whole new caste of management whose only job is to relentlessly boot the living daylights out of those doing the work, they will not be disposed easily.

lanokia, Dragonlady30, drek and 4 others like this.
  9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Could it be that resigning is the only form of control that many teachers feel they have over their work now, and also the only way they have of maintaining any sense of self-esteem, in the face of bullying HTs and SMTs?

needabreak, lanokia, cissy3 and 7 others like this.
  10. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

That's why I resigned as well. Just had enough.

I've taught my last lesson now and start my new job next week (got an early release).

I feel so relieved but sad I'm saying goodbye to a career of over 30 years,

I think there's a lot of truth in that.

casper and phlogiston like this.
  11. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

drek and Scintillant like this.
  12. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

Trouble is, you get to the weekend, to half-term, to the end of term, and you think: I can do this.

I've decided I need to remember, come the end of May, just how miserable it's been too much of the past two or three years and let the Head know I'll be leaving at the end of the year.

Classroom teaching's not really a job for anyone over 40 anymore.

Keira, cissy3, psycho-mum and 4 others like this.
  13. Mangleworzle

That's why I left last Christmas. I had considered going in the summer, but the last term is the nicest and easiest and you get 6 weeks off at the end of it so I didn't. I made the decision over the summer to either leave or stop considering it, the autumn term (and a new HT and DHT) focussed things for me and I knew if I waited until the summer again I might dither again.

cissy3, InkyP and drek like this.
  14. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

It was the same at my last school, after it became an academy. Ten or fifteen years ago, we had years when nobody left the school, and others in which it was one or two due to retirement or a family move. In the last couple of years, all that changed. People would be there one day and gone the next, with nothing said. Since we no longer had parties at the end of term, the droves of people leaving was not so obvious if you did not know them. The school became a sort of caravanserai with staff coming and going at any time of the term.

cissy3 and drek like this.
  15. Anonymity

EXACTLY how I'm feeling tonight. After all, I only need to get to Christmas now... Ridiculous when you think about it.

JRiley1 likes this.
  16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

That thread is up to well over 400 posts now.

17. Mangleworzle

I read part of it, it sounded exactly like those sort of threads on here, it seems the feeling has spread like wildfire, especially since September.

JRiley1 and cissy3 like this.
  18. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I think this post by 'Clam' spells out teaching in 2015 very well

"Imagine you've been driving for 20/30 years. You're pretty experienced and know what you're doing in a car, having driven hundreds of thousands of miles in a range of models. In comes a ruling (from Government) that before every single journey, you have to submit a plan, detailing the car you'll be driving and its performance details, where you're going and why, where you went last time and how the car performed then, who owned the car previously (and how they looked after it), your proposed route and what your back up plan is if you happen to meet roadworks or traffic. Any detour you make will need to be detailed and annotated. At the end of the trip, you will be required to assess how it went, and what you would do differently next time to improve journey times, even if the reason you were late is because the motorway was closed and there was gridlock in the surrounding roads. This will be your fault. Every. Single. Trip.

Would you do it? Or would you say, "******** to that," and take the bus?"

I've taken the bus!

19. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

My husband wonders why I drive 40 mins to work each day (3 days) and don't get a job closer to home. What he doesn't realise is that, at the moment, I am working in a school where I am trusted as a professional and allowed to do my job - teach. I do have a lot if other c**p but it is tolerable because of my working environment and the people who work there too. I have been on the other side bullied and intimidated and I know who truly hideous that can be.

There are some schools out there where you can do the job, but these are few and far between. I really feel for those of you who need or want to leave.

So sad.

20. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Clam 's post was great.

Over 500 posts now.