1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Very good/excellent/outstanding lesson- would anyone be willing to share an example of a lesson?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cath1980, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Hello, I am being observed on wednesday and am really stuck for ideas. My lessons always seem very safe and I am told that they are good but I would love to get someth better thab good. Has anyone got an example of something that they have done which has really excited the children. It can be any area of learning and I am willing to take a few risks. Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance

2. Hello, I am being observed on wednesday and am really stuck for ideas. My lessons always seem very safe and I am told that they are good but I would love to get someth better thab good. Has anyone got an example of something that they have done which has really excited the children. It can be any area of learning and I am willing to take a few risks. Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Couldn't agree more throwing away your careful planning and going where the children lead is a huge risk but so worthwhile... and fun!

5. I hear what you are saying, but I need an Idea for Wednesday.

6. Are you using a theme/project?

7. Msz

The problem is we don't know your class so it's hard to say what will really make your lesson buzz!

8. Thankyou for replying. Our theme at the moment is Monsters and Magic. The children have led the theme and we have used their ideas and interests. We decided that as we are coming to the end of the topic )as the last week will be focused on easter) That we would have a sort of 'monster party' writing invitiations, planning a monster face healthy pizza using range of vegetables, making the pizza face, evalutaing, making up more movements to the monster songs that we have learnt etc. I was wondering if for my Weds lesson (which I was originally going to use as the monster face planning session) could be a more of a creative focus eg look at the works of Giuseppe Arcimboldo and the way he used fruit and veg to create faces. Look at some examples of faces that children have created based on his work and then have a go at doing that ourselves. Bring in loads of veg for the children to look at and investigate then they draw their face design which will then be used as their plan when we make them on friday.
    Is this a stupid idea?

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

No. What a funny question.

MAke pizzas from scratch, if you have access to an oven. Show them the magic of yeast.

10. What is the funny question??
    We will make the pizzas from scratch but was going to do that on friday as we work as a unit with nursery in the mornings and they will be doing it too. What do you think I should/could do for obs Inky? I know my questions make people roll their eyes!!!

Thanks

11. Msz

Make the pizzas!!!

12. I would love to but don't see how I can do that as a whole class lesson when being observed.

13. Sounds pretty whizzy to me

So healthy too. You could also do a a survey to see who has tried certain veges before and then ask the kids to be ' brave ' and sample new types of veg. Do a T chart "I liked ..." "I didn't like .." and get the kids to put their name on whichever side. Give a sticker for sampling s'thing new

14. ohhh, I am confused now!!!

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

I know cooking with a whole class isn't ideal but you don't have to do the whole process with everyone.
    But everyone could give a stir and a knead and watch the sleeping yeast wake up when it was given warmth and food and water, and sniff it....

16. Msz

How many children?
    Do you have a TA?

17. Get the person who is observing you to muck in too.

18. 30 children and a TA.
    What would I do for my whole class carpet intro? I have no idea how to organise this. We have 4 rooms and the outdoor area. will it look bad if ch can not go outside?

19. Msz

Do a whole class intro then divide the children into groups each getting a turn at making the dough. Anough group could have a tasting of the toppings so they can make an informed choice before creating their masterpiece. This could be with the observer as suggested and leaving your TA free to supervise outdoors if needed.

20. Really don't think I could cope with that as an observation, also time will be very limited