1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Very Gifted Year 5 Maths Student

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Galois123, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Although I usually only teach GCSE and A Level maths, a few years ago I agreed to take on a Year 2 girl who was showing exceptional promise in maths. I taught her for half an hour a week during term times only, with a small amount of homework, so I did not consider that she was being pushed too hard. By the end of Year 2, it was clear she was very gifted, and I expected her to be ready for GCSE Modules in Year 4/5.
    Her parents went to see the headteacher of her new Junior School at the beginning of Year 3, but she just didn't want to know - especially about very early GCSE. I have continued to teach the girl for half an hour a week. She is now in Year 5 and is working at Level 8/8+ with me, but being set work at Level 4/5 at school. Her teacher is actually extremely good, and knows she is fantastic at maths, but obviously doesn't know the girl can solve quadratics, solve triangles using trigonometry etc. The parents haven't mentioned it because the headteacher was so hostile.
    The parents and I took the decision to enter my student for Linear GCSE Maths at Foundation Tier, and she took the exam at the beginning of March. If I had entered her at Higher Tier, I am sure she would have achieved at least a B, but I wanted to keep things as relaxed as possible. My student found the exam very easy and I am certain she will get a C, which will put her 'officially' at about Level 7.
    The plan is to take IGCSE at the end of year 6 if I am sure she will get an A*.
    The problem is, the school does not know that she has taken GCSE maths. They will have to be told when the results are known. I will suggest that I send in work at an appropriate level. I assume the school will have to act then. If not, maybe Ofsted should be informed of the situation?
    Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. It seems the parents want to try for a scholarship at a private school. The state secondary schools in the area are pretty ****.
    Thanks Steven and Liz for your wise words. Everyone else seems to be just interested in money. Hail the Tax Catch Up Plan!

3. That last comment was actually meant quite light-heartedly. But I am concerned that, from April 1, HMRC might target private tutors because they are soft targets. I once put an advert online and received exactly no enquiries!