1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Very difficult reception children, help please!!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by blueberries, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Evening all! 

I am currently working 3 days a week with a reception class who have some pupils will serious behaviour problems due to issues at home that I won't go into here.

Some of the things that happen: 

* 1 little girl is lashing out at people within 5 mins of coming into class. Ice had to physically restrain her twice to stop her hurting someone. Same child has thrown sand at other chn, disobeys rules, refuses to come
    And do group work 
    * another girl has awful tantrums, screaming, crying, threatening to hit other chn with various toys
    * a third girl provokes the other two and is generally quite sly. Mocking chn etc.

I am totally alone with them as there are only 22 of them so they don't  get in a TA. half the class wont listen half the time so whole class carpet times are pointless.

It was not great today, I spend half my play time crying in the toilets. Not that I can tell anyone as they would assume it's me rather than the chn ( I'm an Nqt). 

I know it's only 3 more weeks but please give me some advice as I am dreading spending time with this class next week! 

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You need to speak to your mentor. She should be supporting and helping you, so you need to be honest.

It may well be you in the sense you are inexperienced and so ill equipped to deal with these issues, but that is all the more reason to tell and get help with the children.

What you describe is more ordinary children acting up and being a pain, not serious issues that couldn't be solved with several adults working together. You, as would anyone else, need a team approach to solving such problems. If you don't tell your colleagues they cannot help.

You need to have clear rules, rewards and sanctions that are regularly applied. For them to work you will need the assistance of colleagues to take children who need a time out, as punishment for disobedience, or to come and collect children/be a witness to restraining for those tantruming.

Talk to your head of FS or mentor or both.

3. Thanks will do