1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Very dangerous behaviour from another staff member, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by hadron, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Sounds like professional misconduct.
    Also, you may discover that you are breaching H& S regulations by having (and using) tea & coffee making facilites in the prep room.
    Best to go to the staff room for tea & coffee.

2. We are lucky enough to have a science staff room which isn't a prep room. Although I think generally it might be best to head to the main teaching staff room.

3. This could be reported on a RIDDOR form, to make it an official complaint. All schools should have RIDDOR forms. This is a form to report accidents and dangerous occurences including 'near miss' events. The lead manager of the department needs to sign this form to say what measures they have put in place to stop it happening again.
    The member of staff should be formally warned about their behaviour, which by the looks of things is potentially very dangerous.
    If they are ignorant about chemical safety, they should be re-trained. If they are arrogant about H&S, they should be dismissed.

4. Cleaning a teapot with KMnO4, how does that work? More likely to stain it a shade darker than the tea stains! Now, except for the fact that I don't understand the cleaning process I should think the KMnO4 (and therefore any residue) was rinsed out after 'cleaning', so should not actually cause a problem. However, what a wicked waste of an expensive chemical!
    I do agree that if this technician is doing strange things like this that they may not understand the chemistry side of things and therefore may not be be able to make up correct solutions. Maybe a good idea to have a chat and a delve into the abilities of the technician?
    Rather than go off the deep end reporting the technician, why not talk to him and ask him not to use chemicals in items used for consumption and suggest he goes on a safety or chemical course for technicians? (eg CLEAPSS or science centre courses.) It seems to me that training/ retraining is the solution to your dodgy solutions!
    Finally, I assume the technician was employed on the basis of 'no formal qualifications required', term time only working and a really pathetic wage? If the school pays peanuts, what quality of staff do they expect to get? Next time you need a technician, why not insist the school asks for suitable science qualifications and offers a decent wage?

5. Report it or you will be also be walking down the green mile for not informing the school

6. Chirality

Chirality New commenter

Maybe the authority is at fault employing someone who hasn't a clue about COSHH . The tech needs to get trained ,and if I was you Id make my own tea ...minus teapot[​IMG]