1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

(Very) current issues in MFL teaching?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by still_positive, Nov 11, 2015.

1. still_positive

still_positive New commenter

I'm about to have interviews for MFL ITT and am wondering if anyone could help me out by highlighting anything current/ relevant in the delivery of MFL in Secondary. Positive or negative or just informative - I need to know! Thanks

2. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

We aren't here to do your homework for you.
    Teaching is time consuming enough, if you can't Google the answer yourself...Good luck!

3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

EBacc meaning more MFL teachers needed; how to motivate pupils who don't want to do a compulsory language

-myrtille- likes this.
  4. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

The impact of languages at primary? As a primary peripatetic MFL teacher I do wonder how these kids who are leaving me with a reasonable amount of one language will fare if they are sent back to the beginning with the same language, or else given a new one to start. I know of one secondary in a rural area who sends a teacher to each of its feeder primaries to give the same lessons across the board- but that couldn't work in a city grammar school which might have 50 feeder primaries.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Primary staff coerced into delivering languages badly because they have a place in Spain / France or managed a grade at GCSE.

Secondary schools having to 'undo' all the bad habits the students have developed re language learning because of inferior provision - frustrating and time wasting.

Rigid timetabling at secondary which places a student in a Spanish half of the year although he / she has 'studied ' French previously.

Have taught disinterested students all my life through languages for all - many did not see the relevance of the curriculum or the ridiculous 'middle class ' approach of the examination questions - was not a great experience for them or me!

Also had the ' you are in a better set and therefore you will study a language ' - scenario - students who funnelled through a narrow curriculum model were often challenging and disillusioned ie those targeted in the once all important 5 A-C bracket. So they had ( with massive intervention ) a reasonable shot at success in English / Maths which they recognised as being ' necessary ' but not MFL. Vey hard to motivate students who are of the mind WIIFM - ( what's in it for me ? ). I was more than happy to see things from their point of view.