1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

very confused about my pension

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by sidse, Jan 16, 2020.

1. sidse

sidse New commenter

Hi,
    I had my highest earning years early in my career ( about 14 years) and have been working part time ever since. How will my pension be worked out - as a career average or on my final salary? I am soon to be 58.

mountainchris2 likes this.
  2. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Your benefit statement on TPS website will tell you what pension you have accrued, which scheme you are in and how much is in each. There is uncertainty as it looks as though the CARE system, up to some as yet undetermined date, will be reverted back to final salary but those details are dependent on the instructions of the firefighter's tribunal and the consequent adaptations that will be put in place.

If you would like me to have a detailed look I'd need to see a copy of the benefit statement so by all means start a conversation with me. I'm not a financial adviser but have found out a fair bit about the scheme in recent months.

3. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

At 58 is it not entirely final salary? You don't say how part time you've been, but it will be 1095 consecutive days. If you are .5, that's 6 years, from '10 to '16.

4. sidse

sidse New commenter

Thanks both. Diddydave, how do I start a conversation with you? Phatsals, I have done various different versions of part time from 0.8 to 0.1 and everything in between.

5. diddydave

I've sent you a conversation starter.
    A lot will depend on whether you have had a break in service which as a part-time teacher you may have done.
    This document tells you when the transfer to CA takes place: https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/...~/media/93CC7173567A46B2A3D99E4D242FCEE9.ashx but as phatsals says if you are 58 soon then all of your service should be in the Final salary scheme.

6. diddydave

I've done some calculations, please see the conversation for details :)