1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Very close to quiting PGCE (Mental health)

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by louiseheaton94, Nov 21, 2018.

1. louiseheaton94

louiseheaton94 New commenter

Has anyone regretted quiting PGCE?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Regrets are personal and it is an individual decision you need to make. Talk with your mentors and use the careers service and student services for advice and support.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  3. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

I almost quit mine around 20 years ago. I had a poor base A and wasn't going to show up for my Base B school. My wife talked me into it (bullied me and told me it's what I had wanted to do etc etc). I didn't sleep all night and was still unsure if I should go in to school. I did and I had a chat with the Deputy Head (my mentor) and was very honest and told him I hadn't got on well with my mentor at my last placement and went into some detail.He assured me that this was a new start and introduced me to my subject mentor. A man who taught me so much, who the kids loved and he never raised his voice, his knowledge, pace of lessons, ideas and enthusiasm lifted me. He was helpful and he gave me lots of great advice, subtle things to do or not to do. It was such a contrasting experience to Base A. Like you I was on the verge of quitting and was thinking of other jobs, professions, When you qualify, not every school, HOD is your 'fit'. It doesn't work out sometimes and you need to move schools, you may find the school too prescriptive, not like certain people, this is human nature. Have a think and chat to people. Your next placement maybe a totally different experience.
    What I will add is that it all takes time. The Behaviour Management you don't just crack it. The same for the teaching and planning and the marking. You start to do things smarter, you save plans that have gone well because you'll teach the same lesson again.You'll do some live marking, It's a process and it takes time to work but only you will know. Good luck.

Lucy2711, saluki and blueskydreaming like this.
  4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You've got to do what's best for you.