1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VERY CHALLENGING CLASS

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by LINGUIST2, Nov 29, 2012.

1. LINGUIST2

LINGUIST2 New commenter

Hi
    I teach MFL and have a particularly challenging group of 30 15 year olds( mainly boys of average to poor ability). SMT are aware of the behaviour problems in the class and after I complained(direct to the Headmaster) a couple of months ago they did show up from time to time to offer me support. However, that has stopped and they haven't been in ages. I did feel the pupils were getting a clear message and things did improve but now things have deteriorated again. There are some really nice kids in the class as well who I feel so sorry for as their learning is always being disrupted.

There are about 5 boys in particular who are loud , do no work and generally try it on . I am trying to be firm and consistent but they are so demanding and most days I feel exhausted after having them and like a really rubbish teacher. Today they left a mess in the class with folders etc so from now on I am going to dismiss them row by row. The thing is yesterday they were quite good and mostly sat in silence doing a past exam paper. Today they were doing something a bit less structured so were a lot noisier. They are so cunning e.g. they waste time sharpening a pencil , they ask silly questions trying to wind me up , they overturn chairs on the way out , they touch the overhead projector on way past , they make noises, constantly sneer and laugh etc

I feel helpless and don't know what to do. My HOD says send them to her but then she says she can't do much as she also has a huge class at that time although hers are top set. She is fairly supportive but i feel she doesn't want the hassle of dealing with the bad boys from my class.

There is a rule in my school that says all referrals must go to HOD in the first instance rather than direct to SMT or Pastoral care staff. There is only myself and my HOD in the department so can get a bit awkward etc. I would feel so ashamed having to send 5 out but I suppose I am past caring what promoted staff think as they are earning double my unpromoted part time salary.

Should I go and speak to the Head of Year or just bite the bullet and put referrals in (it would be almost every day) for these particular pupils. With a couple of the boys I am starting to feel quite intimidated as I feel there is a bit of a 'gang' culture in this class.

I felt good after yesterday's lesson but feel pretty rubbish today and I have got this class till next May so how should I proceed- would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks!

2. They've worked out how to push your buttons - touching the OHP, asking silly questions etc. - all of which are designed to disrupt the lesson flow and give them less work to do.
    One strategy if a silly or personal question is asked, is to say that you don't have time to answer it right now, give the pupil a piece of paper and ask him to write it down, then see you at the end of the lesson, or end of the day when you've more free time - and of course the HoD might pop along too. Any more questions, point at the paper, ask for it to be written down etc. They'll soon stop that game.
    Another: set a target for the amount of work required in a lesson; make it clear to the class. Any that don't do enough because they messed around must catch up in their own time. And follow up on that. If they think you don't mean it, you won't succeed.
    You can't rely on others to resolve these issues for you unfortunately, because they're part of general classroom management. Once you've got to a stage where your strategies keep most of the class in check most of the time, then any more serious transgressions can be passed up the chain.

3. "I would feel so ashamed having to send 5 out but I suppose I am past caring what promoted staff think as they are earning double my unpromoted part time salary" - damn right!
    "Should I ... just bite the bullet and put referrals in (it would be almost every day) for these particular pupils." - <u>Yes definitely</u>, as often as necessary, not a whit less.
    Also, only do lessons that have a good chance of success. Don't do activities that you know will probably lead to misbehaviour. You owe it to the good ones to have lessons where they'll have the best possible chance of learning, which obviously won't happen if there's chaos.
    FAO Whacko!: 25 out of 30 <u>is</u> most of the class.