1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vertical Teaching Groups

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by phlogiston, Jan 16, 2011.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

That's probably because it doesn't happen much. I've heard of it most in schools with small sixth forms where some subjects have year 12 and 13 taught together.
    P

2. I think Gove is going to kill that and prescribe what is taught in each year.

3. lizgaskell

lizgaskell New commenter

I teach years 9, 10 and 11 in one group- varied results as you can imagine.
    Hige diffferentiation, massive workload and some serious underachievers. It is the sort of thing I might have thought of as a wind up a few years ago.[​IMG]
    Liz

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

They do something like this in the USA. It is not unusual to go to class tha includes students from all 4 years groups in the school. However there is no differentiation as each 'class' (in reality a series of lessons over a term) is a stand alone syllabus and students can elect to take these classes at any time during their school career. So a Chemistry 101 class may include freshers who are planning do do loads more science over the next 4 years right up to seniors who just need to do one class to graduate.

Not sure how this would work in a National Curriculum model like we have. Perhaps in Academies and free school where the NC is not required they could try something like this.

5. lizgaskell

lizgaskell New commenter

Should add that mine are also mixed ability...

Liz

6. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

I don't know about research, but I'm aware that this is fairly common practice in small schools in Scotland - once into S3 a lot of schools have a "stage not age" approach so some will study Access 3, while more able peers will push ahead with Intermediate 1 or 2 (alongside older students who studied the level below the year before), and then onto Higher.