1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Versa Laser not cutting?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Simon67, May 4, 2011.

1. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

Morning all
    Our beloved versa laser has stopped cutting.... it worked perfectly last night, but now only moves over where it should be cutting, but doesn't cut. No led to show the door is open. No error messages.

In other words, it works perfectly, but no laser fired at the material!

Any thoughts?

2. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

Morning all
    Our beloved versa laser has stopped cutting.... it worked perfectly last night, but now only moves over where it should be cutting, but doesn't cut. No led to show the door is open. No error messages.

In other words, it works perfectly, but no laser fired at the material!

Any thoughts?

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Check the optics aren't damaged/dirty first. Check the air assist cone is correctly fitted. Do you get the red dot pointer when the door is open?

4. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

Red dot works fine when the door is open - goes off when it is closed.
    First thing I did was to clean the lenses...

Assuming the air assist cone is the pointery thing that blows air onto the work it's also fine....

5. modelmaker

Have you checked it's correctly focussed? The table calibration can get corrupted and may need resetting. It's a software and USB issue. Do you get any marking on the material at all?
    Place a piece of masking tape over the hole in the left-hand side of the carriage and run an engraving file for a few moments to see if the tape gets scorched. If it doesn't, there's a possibility your laser tube has died.

6. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

We've appeared to have "bubbles" in the tube before - in otherwords it stopped temporarily then started again. As for the user error - agree, it happens to colleagues all the time! I even got a colleague to check my settings were correct...

It's been off all night, so will try again at lunchtime.

Ta.

7. How strange......

Our Versa laser did exactly the same thing yesterday (4 May). Is there anything significant with the date?
    Anyway, after a few attempts to get it to cut I simply rebooted the computer and retried the original file/print and it worked fine. Our machine is less than two years old and is not overly worked.
    Hopefully yours will do the same when you try it again....
    Hutch

8. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

I've tried re-booting the computer.I've tried a different drawing. I've tried a different USB port. I've replaced the pp3 battery at the back of the machine. (I didn't even know it had a pp3 battery in the back of the machine until I looked at the instruction book!!) I've cleaned the lenses. I've put a different peice of acrylic in to cut. I've got a colleague to check my settings. I'm fed up with our versalaser!! It's over 4 years old so out of warrenty, but again, not overly used...
    A question to other users... when you send the file to print, you open the control panel to turn the machine on and to set it going. Next to the idle at the bottom left of the screen are two green "leds". When it says idle, do bothe these flash alternately, or does just the right hand one flash?

9. modelmaker

Look in your inbox

10. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

I didn't know I had an inbox!!
    Reply forthcoming. Thanks