1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Verbally Accepted NQT Position

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ace_bridger, Jun 1, 2011.

1. I have accepted a job with the school where I (will have) completed by GTP but have seen the dream job advertised.
    I have only verbally accepted the job offer with my current school and I was wondering whether this is legally binding or not?
    Does anyone know?
    If it is legally binding then I was considering whether to apply for the dream job anyway highlighting my position and if they thought I was awesome and couldn't pass me up then i could give a terms notice with my current school and join the new one at the start of the second term!!?? It wouldn't be the perfect start to my NQT year but a dream job is a dream job and perhaps in the long run I'll look back and be very glad I went for it.

Any shared experiences or advice would be welcomed...especially regarding the legalities of my situation.

Cheers,

Ace

2. I have accepted a job with the school where I (will have) completed by GTP but have seen the dream job advertised.
    I have only verbally accepted the job offer with my current school and I was wondering whether this is legally binding or not?
    Does anyone know?
    If it is legally binding then I was considering whether to apply for the dream job anyway highlighting my position and if they thought I was awesome and couldn't pass me up then i could give a terms notice with my current school and join the new one at the start of the second term!!?? It wouldn't be the perfect start to my NQT year but a dream job is a dream job and perhaps in the long run I'll look back and be very glad I went for it.

Any shared experiences or advice would be welcomed...especially regarding the legalities of my situation.

Cheers,

Ace

3. Throughout my teacher training we were told that at an interview, the last question they ask you (and they do) is 'if offered this post would you accept?' If you say Yes then that is binding. If you say Yes at an interview, then turn down the post if offered to you, you would need VERY good reasons for this.

Don't know if it differs depending on whether they have interviewed you or not. Check with your union.

I think as well, considering the high number of applications for teaching jobs, your dream school may be unlikely to wait a term for you, especially if there are 100+ people ready and willing to start when needed.