1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

verbal agreement

Discussion in 'Personal' started by smeletoze777, Mar 13, 2012.

1. I left a teaching agency to join current school,on condition that i had 2 wks unpaid leave to visit family overseas, was a verbal contract betw me and then HT. New HT wants to take this away, as its never been in writing, but payroll and admin have evidence of this allowance for past 10 Yrs, union advised that verbal agreement is still legally binding. Any ideas, thoughts? :)

2. I left a teaching agency to join current school,on condition that i had 2 wks unpaid leave to visit family overseas, was a verbal contract betw me and then HT. New HT wants to take this away, as its never been in writing, but payroll and admin have evidence of this allowance for past 10 Yrs, union advised that verbal agreement is still legally binding. Any ideas, thoughts? :)

3. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

you might get more responses over on Workplace Dilemmas. I would have thought that precedent should count for something and if there is evidance that this happened in the past then it should be able to continue.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

On the other hand, however, circumstances change - and what was never agreed on paper must at some point be up for the head, especially a new one, to change.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

I think I agree with Middlemarch. Proving that this was a "term" of your contract would not be easy.
    One way in which it could be viewed is that every year you make a request to the Head for two weeks unpaid leave and the Head (in their discretion) has granted the request in the past. That does not mean that you have a right to those two weeks.

6. Possibly a precadent now set in temrs of contract - would need further delving with an employment lawyer...though this will not win you any friends with the HT if they are really anti it...
    Can I ask why you cannot use the thirteen weeks of the year that are paid holiday to visit your family?

7. Hi, thanks for ur response, but being christian, christmas is the biggest day for my family and i and it was the one condition, before leaving the supply agency.Also have been advised by union that this is legally binding, with evidence i have and history of not breeching those ie.taking extra days, abusing this agreement. So looks like i have a case, and legal support...:) thanks again for all your responses

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

But schools are on holiday at Christmas...?
    I wouldn't take what your union says as gospel, by the way.

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

breeching is something to do with trousers
    breaching is probably the one you want

10. All schools have 2 weeks off at Christmas and MANY teachers are Christians but that is sufficient for us to celebrate with family. Even for those who travel to be with family.

11. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

My Trollometer (TM) is twitching.

12. I think your Trollometer is in perfect working order. I don't know any schools that are not on holiday at Christmas.Anyway, arguably the most important event in the Christian calendar is Easter, not Christmas...but that's neither here nor there.
    Of course, perhaps the OP is working at a school in Saudi or something, when he/she would not get a Christmas holiday.