1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Venting frustration at local Primary School

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by stopwatch, Oct 10, 2015.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

OK, I realise that this is just a bit of self pity looking for attention but:

I see a lot of threads on this forum around Primary PE and how many schools are trying to improve the situation. I also see comments around how many Primary teachers don't like teaching PE and therefore it doesn't get a good deal (or rather the children don't). I see lots of comments around the fact that outside coaches are brought in who know how to coach, but don't know how to teach.or more precisely, be a teacher (teaching PE and Coaching sports are NOT the same thing).

I have recently returned from teaching PE overseas in a prominent Primary School. I was Director of Sport putting in 50+ hours a week raising the profile of Sport for the school. The level and range of provision was outstanding and the levels of performance likewise. I have over 30 years PE experience, 21 in UK.

A local UK Primary School advertised for a permanent 'Sports Coach' to assist their PE coordinator and help with/take PE lessons and teams. I visited the school beforehand, was impressed with their approach and their positive attitude to PE. The pay wasn't anything special (£20k) but at this point I want to give something back and thought I had a good chance, at least for an interview.

Yes you guessed it - not even called for interview. I probably sound a little conceited, but I just cannot fathom their reasoning. They were unwilling to give me any feedback even though I politely requested it.

OK, rant over, I feel better now. If you have read all of the way through, thank you.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I expect they had a monkey lined up for those peanuts all along, likely the latest partner of the highest heels in SLT.

Have a run, get it out of your system and find something worth your experience.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Update, I emailed them and asked them politely for feedback. They replied and were also quite polite saying I was over-experienced/overqualified and they were concerned I wouldn't be challenged enough (surely I had considered this?).
    Anyway, it was nice at least to get some feedback (which I of course replied to - politely :))

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It is one of hard work's greatest rewards that a person may eventually transcend personnel departments and spit on them from a great height.

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I wasn't thinking of spitting on them, but other, more vulgar bodily emissions:eek:

6. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

It could be that the primary's "Sport coordinator" felt very threatened by you also. Let's face it... the passion of being in a teaching role to be in it "for the kids" is well sneered at/ treated with contempt these days. If they felt that was your reason for applying they might well have looked down on you also.
    Welcome to the land of complete b*llsh*t where only those who talk the talk (i.e. talk complete locksbol) get on.

7. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

I am shocked at the quick promotion of many primary school teachers. Most can't teach, so see a promotion as a way of teaching lesson and doing the one thing they can do ... telling others how to teach. There are teaching who have only been teaching a few years before becoming a deputy. No surprise you were turned down because quite simply they felt threatened. They know they would not be able to talk down to you because you are far more qualified then they will ever be. You need to be working in the job for 10 years before even considering a management role.