1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Venison casserole?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Lalad, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

Thank you - I knew someone would come up with something!
    I'm having difficulty accessing the bbc website at the moment, and we are having macaroni cheese tonight, so I am going to try your recipe for tomorrow belle - is it better to marinade the venison overnight, or should it be ok from scratch? I've only ever cooked venison burgers before so am a bit of a novice in this respect!

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

No need to marinade, it works well from scratch. If you do want to marinade I'd make a marinade from a little olive oil, juniper berries, herbs and red wine, but do add the marinade when you make the casserole.

3. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

I've had to compromise a bit - no juniper berries or celery but have used chopped suede and tomatoes instead. It'll be ready about 8pm and, if it tastes as good as it smells, will be delicious! I will let you know later...

4. I don't use Juniper berries but do add 4 cloves, 6 black peppercorns, 3 crushed cloves of garlic, large glass of red wine and 2 tablespoons of red currant jelly to the venison, shallots and stock.

5. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

It worked really well - I made some potato gratin to go with it and there was enough for a second meal last night, which delighted my elderly parents, as it was their first meal in their new home. I will definitely be making it again, and will try adding the cloves, peppercorns and Juniper berries next time to vary.