1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Venice suggestions and recommendations?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lookingfornemo, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Off to Venice on Tuesday for 4 days. Our first time there. Anyone got any recommendations of where to go or where to eat? Staying in a little hotel not far from St Marks Square.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Don't look for somewhere to eat near your hotel - it will be massively over-priced and not very good in the main.
    Head out to Cannareggio for better restaurants, more reasonably priced.
    Take the boat out to Torcello island for a really different bit of Venice.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Just go walking and get lost, brilliant way of enjoying Venice.
    We found the old Jewish quarter and had some fantastic fegato alla venezziani there.
    Lots of walking, St Mark's Square, bluddy pigeons!!! But gorgeous ice creams!
    Travelling by vaporetto is brilliant, try to get to Murano, watching the glass made is incredible.

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I agree - just wander! The back streets further away from St Mark's Square will provide you with excellent food at a much cheaper price. There is a brilliant ice cream place on the square though - or was the last time I was there.
    One thing you must do, although it's a real cliche - the gondola ride. I was very cynical about it (over priced boat ride ETC), but it is much more than the sum of it's parts.
    I LOVE Venice and am hugely jealous. Enjoy!

5. Middlemarch

That's Canareggio, Lapin!
    I do advise the purchase of a decent guide book, mind - going to Venice without one is to miss out - potentially - on some marvellous sights and experiences.
    Buy a vaporetto pass - the three day one is excellent value.

6. 576

576 Established commenter

I second the recommendation to go to Torcello, and be sure to stop at Burano on the way back.

7. Be prepared for it to be very, very crowded. I was there this time last year. Take shoes you can walk in.
    Buy a vaporetto pass online before you go and take the vaporetto up the Grand Canal to the end of the line and back. Its a cheap way to see everything.
    Remember that if you want to sit outside at a cafe, the price rises exponentially. Instead of sitting with the crowds in St Mark's Square, go round the corner to the cafes outside the Naval Museum. Its still expensive - nine euro for a cappuccino - but you can watch the boats going past.

8. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Go get lost in the back streets. I love Sant elena and the restaurants the stop before. Try to walk most places as the boats are expensive. Do not go into any restaurants with people standing outside trying to entice people in. Do try the gelato, prosecco, fragolino and spritz. Have a wonderful time - am heading there next week. (Lived in Padua for two years and miss it terribly!)

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Vaporetto pass is a must.
    Also buy a museum pass if going in galleries, Doge's Palace is your thing. It gives access to lots of places and saves the need for queuing for tickets. We bought ours on the first day at the Doge's Palace.
    The view of Venice from Isola s. Giorgio Maggiore island is amazing and it is recommended in my guide book to go up the tower in the church there rather than the Campanile in St Mark's Square. The church had a wonderful art installation by Amish kapoor when we went last November. I hope for your sake that it's still there. It was meant to be leaving later in November but may have been retained for longer. I've found this link with a video at the bottom for the installation, called the Ascension.
    http://www.whattoseeinvenice.com/anish-kapoor-venecia-2/
    We spent a good few hours at the cemetery on Isola di S.Michele, enjoying the greenery and the peace and quiet (and giving our feet a rest from pounding hard pavements) + looking for ht egraves of famous people.
    You could combine a cemetery visit with an onward vaporetto trip to Murano to fill up one day.
    The Museo Ebraico in the Jewish quarter is worth a visit. They have a lot of artwork by Tobia Ravá, who does studies in perspective using numbers and symbols. Quite astonishing and original in my opinion and I just had to fork out 30 euros for a book of his work in the museum shop. I hardly ever buy more than a pencil or postcards in those places.
    We found some decent restaurants on or near the waterfront to the west of the bridge called Ponte d' Accademia (the famous art gallery). Also ate in Cannaregio one lunchtime and one evening.

10. jannet

jannet New commenter

Scuola grande di san rocco for amazing Tintoretto works ... and Burano. I'm jealous !

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

This may sound odd but I can thoroughly second this. We also enjoyed the peace and wonder of the cemetry (and also went "famous grave" hunting).

12. Don't forget San Lazzaro for a look if beautiful older things are your bag! Check Vaporetto times carefully though, not open all the time.
    Burano has some sweet restaurants - might be wortha look. If the weather is still good you ought to pop over to Lido for a bit!
    NB for cheap non-romantic eats, the street pizza is a good bet!

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My favourite too.

14. Middlemarch

I recommend the reasonably priced 'Alla Madonna' fish restaurant, located in a little alleyway (which might be called Calle Madonna) near the Rialto bridge.