1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Venezuela Vs Kuala Lumpur

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mob26, Jun 17, 2015.

• Hi everyone, I'm a secondary Science/Maths teacher considering about taking a job in Valencia, Venezuela.The pay looks good considering the low tax rate.However I am concerned whether it is safe to teach out there.It seems that it would be difficult to travel around without an organised tour group.
    • Secondly, if I moved over, my partner would be coming with me. He is an intelligent guy and a qualified construction teacher. He was considering looking for TEFL work, but we've read some pretty miserable things about the pay and we're finding it hard to find work in that field. He has a BA in construction and technology education so he is quite employable in other fields, but we're not sure what sort of job he could get. Does anyone have partners/friends doing TEFL or other jobs that could shed any light on this? If anyone has any advice at all about teaching in Venezuela , including what it's actually like overall (i.e. is there as much work to take home as I get here in the UK!) then I'd really like to hear from you.
    • We have been offered two jobs in an international school outside Kuala Lumpur.We both have over 10 years experience, but I’m not sure if schools take that into consideration. I read on a previous post that the pay is disappointing and you are taxed at a high rate.I also read that if you leave the country for over 14 days you may have to pay a higher rate of tax.
    • If you could advise me about which would be the better option I would really appreciate it.

1. I would do some more research on living in Venezuela - their economic situation is difficult at the moment. A good forum to check out is Dave's ES: café. As the title suggests it is more about EFL/ESL than international schools but you can usually find somewhere there who is actually in situ in the country you are considering. They can offer very practical advice. I used it extensively when I lived in South America for 4 years. Good luck on your adventures, where ever they take you.

2. Thanks I'll check that out.

3. Arepa

Arepa New commenter

Not too long ago (March) there was a discussion about this topic. I believe that most relevant points were covered. Do a search under the topic Caracas. You also might find the discussions under the topic Venezuela of use.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

For most teachers, it's the first year only that taxes in Malaysia are so tricky. You have to be in country for 182 days in the calendar year to qualify for lower tax rates, and if you arrive in August, that's impossible.

But there is a legal work-around, which involves being in Malaysia continuously for 182 days in the first part of the following year, and making sure that any travel done at Christmas (or any other point) doesn't exceed 14 days out of the country.

So you can arrive in August, hang out until school breaks for Christmas, head wherever for up to 14 days, come back to Malaysia, and stay there until your 182 days are up, which will be close to when school finishes for the year. Then both years will qualify for the lower rate.

After that, it's easy. You just have to be in Malaysia for any 182 days in the calendar year, which is pretty easy on a teaching contract.

Or just pay the higher rate for August-December, which will allow you to travel without any issues at all. You'll reach the 182 days for next year, and get the lower rate starting in January.

I'd much rather live in Malaysia than Venezuela.

5. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Your partner cannot travel with you and get visas unless you are married.

As to the two countries mentioned. Fabulous places. I'd happily work in either again.

6. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

How timely. Was just talking to a friend who moved from Venezuela to KL this year. She loved SA, but said it was a 'difficult' place to live due to crime and personal safety. She said it really wasn't a matter of 'if' but 'when' when it came to crime.

So, admittedly it's all 2nd hand information but I know where I'd choose...

(If you want to PM the schools in KL, I can comment on them.)

7. I love SA, and Venezuela, but it is facing what could be some of the most tumultuous years in its history, and that's saying something when talking about that country. Not only is it one of the most dangerous places on earth already, but is also such a divided nation that even civil war cannot ruled out. Maduro is proving to be divisive like Chavez, but no longer has the high oil prices to keep the "Boliviarian Revolution" on track. The economy is screwed and it's only going to get worse. Crime is ubiquitous and affects the daily lives of all. You have to be aware of your surroundings all the time, and to continually taking precautions. Caracas, in particular, is a dangerous hellhole, and crime is rampant in all parts of the city, including the exclusive zones. Yes, it's been dangerous for years, but with the falling oil prices, it's all going to come to a head sooner rather than later.

It's a wonderful, beautiful country which should be a tourist hotspot, but it is, at the moment, a complete basket case.

If I was you, I'd be taking one of those jobs in boring (by comparison), but safe KL. Hopefully, some time in the future we will be able to see better times for Venezuela. It'll be a while, and involve bloodshed though I'd wager...