1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Veggie help please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ResourceFinder, Apr 13, 2011.

1. I am making 2 stews, one has lamb and the other is veggie

They both have plenty of vegetables in but I was looking to add some pulses to the veggie one

From Waitrose I bought some "ready shelled EDAMAME BEANS" the instructions say soya beans to boil or steam ... 5 minutes

I was just going to pop them in at the end

But now I am wondering if they are suitable ... any thoughts?

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Just the one. Use them, they will be lovely.

3. Thanks ... they look tasty but I just had a panic [​IMG]

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

One of my colleagues is the child of a beef farmer and she regards chicken as a vegetable, but that probably doesn't help.
    As 5 mins will probably not be enough for the endame beans to impart anything to the stew, or absorb any flavours, it might be better to preserve their lovely green colour and serve them as a side dish

5. They need boiling up but you can add them at the end as the soup will be hot. Just simmer for 5 mins, that will be enough. I sometimes add them to a stir fry and they don't take long.
    I am personally not too keen on them but tastes are different.

6. I'm glad you're not using Quorn.
    I'm not a vegetarian, but my partner is and I've made him stop using Quorn as it's vile ( I mostly eat the same food as him, and will only occasionally eat meat). It always tastes of Quorn, no matter what you do to it. Ming-tastic.

7. But, I was going to add them, in part as a way to make the stew more "sturdy" ... tbh it looks nice already so maybe I should go "side dish"

I could put them in for longer ... alternatively?

8. doomzebra

You can confuse Asda staff quite well by asking them if their Quorn is free-range

9. What about putting some barley in, too? it has a really nice texture.

10. Feeding Teen's veggie pal ... I usually just do pizza but she is staying 2 nights so I thought I would be a wee bit more adventurous ... I have been warned off Quorn before ... along with veggie sausages and the like

11. doomzebra

they might 'mush' if cooked longer and it would be a shame to sacrifice their appearance. Iusually add some form of white bean to add weight to veggie stews

12. I don't think that will make much of a difference, to be honest. I tend to add them to stir-fries or steam and use in a salad - or an omelette or scrambled egg.
    But experimenting is always good - give it a go and see what you think [​IMG]
    They very definitely can be used in soups (the Japanese do!), so no reason you can't pop them in a stew!