1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian cook book recommendations

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by primarycat, Nov 26, 2018.

1. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

My 11 year old neice is after a veggie cook book for Christmas. I think it should be nice home cooking, reasonably easy but not just for children as her parents are both good cooks and would also probably cook from it for her or with her.

Any ideas?

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Cranks'?

A_Million_Posts likes this.
  3. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

River cottage Veg every day by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.

4. Alceanne1

Alceanne1 Senior commenter

Agree with Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall recommendations. Also The Happy Pear have a couple of good books out. My veggie 20yr old likes them.

emerald52 likes this.
  5. primarycat

Thanks all! I'll have a look at them. Much appreciated.

emerald52 likes this.
  6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The Hugh F-W book is excellent, as a is Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian Cookery.

emerald52 and primarycat like this.
  7. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Anything by Rose Elliot.

8. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

Anjum Anand's Indian Vegetarian Feast is great if she likes Indian Food.

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

A bit of a digression, but I do think the Indians have the best meatless cookery.. A nice present might be a starter pack of spices, if you live anywhere near an Indian shop. Or you could buy twenty-thirty little plastic jars in which to ,keep them, all of which she can be labeĺled on top before putting them in a kitchen drawer or two.

Buying spices from Asian stores works out cheaper than buying stuff from supermarkets (also tends to be freasher) and is even better value if you share the cost with a friend.

10. beth_silva

beth_silva New commenter

A friend of mine recommended Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. Could be a little hard for newbies as there's not so much photos. But recipes are delicious and book itself have a good navigation: for instance, helpful icons for applicable recipes like soy free, gluten free etc.

11. primarycat

Thank you all for so many goid recommendations! I went with Rose Elliot in the end to give more ge eral recipes - not sure how much she likes Indian food. But I'll look back here for PCjr who is also veggie and an adventurous cook when buying cook books for her.

Much appreciated, all!