1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Biology Teacher

Discussion in 'Science' started by DerbyshireLad, Jul 12, 2018.

1. DerbyshireLad

DerbyshireLad New commenter

I decided to go vegetarian a few months ago, mainly for ethical reasons - essentially because I find it hard to justify killing animals for food when there are so many alternatives available. But I'm also due to begin training as a biology teacher in September, and I've been thinking quite a bit about dissection in school.

I just wondered if there are any other science teachers on here who are vegetarian/vegan, and how you handle dissection?

Thanks!

2. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Sorry, I'm not vegetarian/vegan, but will often discuss the ethics if I'm doing a heart or lung dissection with a class. Your basis for going vegetarian - there are so many alternatives available, doesn't apply with a dissection. Nothing can replace the understanding a student can develop when they actually handle the tissues and see what a floppy mess most biology is, rather than a pretty picture in a textbook. Another point you may want to look into is what would happen to the heart/lungs if you weren't dissecting them - not many people eat offal anymore and so the vast majority goes to waste.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

You might also want to consider the fate of bull calves if you continue to consume dairy products, the fate of male chicks if you eat eggs!

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I think you'll find that very little goes to waste, but a lot will go into pet foods.

CheeseMongler likes this.
  5. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

You're probably right, hence why I suggested to look into this one. The point I was making is that using lungs/hearts for dissection will not increase the demand on animal slaughter.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  6. DaraWetton

DaraWetton New commenter

I'm vegan (and from Derbyshire too!) myself, just finished my training and I wondered if the dissections would be an issue, but I've actually felt totally fine about them. The students learn a lot from them (far more than they could from a textbook) and it has a much stronger purpose (for me) compared to consumption of meat. They're so engaged and interested in whatever you're showing them. Cutting up an eyeball to teach 30 teenagers about its structure and function just doesn't feel the same as tucking into a steak.

7. jtranah

jtranah New commenter

Although I eat meat only occasionally I have never had a problem with dissections. However I did have problems years ago with a vegan lab. tech. who would not even provide me with woodlice to use in choice chambers. Dissections, no chance! I moved schools.