1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vegetaria Food Tech Teacher?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Cals, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Hi
    I think I've just scuppered my chances of a Food Tech Teacher as I am vegetarian and won't work with meat or fish. Are there any veggie food techies out there?
    Thank you
    Cx

2. Hi
    I think I've just scuppered my chances of a Food Tech Teacher as I am vegetarian and won't work with meat or fish. Are there any veggie food techies out there?
    Thank you
    Cx

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Hmmmmmmmmm, considering you have to teach about meat and fish as part of the GCSE, it would be difficult. On the other hand you don't need to touch them, as long as you can get people in to do the dems etc.

4. I was a veggie for my first few years of food teaching but I never excluded them from recipes or the courses I ran - you just cannot deliver the SOW if you do. Most students would want to use them for coursework as well.

5. Hi
    Sorry - forgot to mention it's just for KS3.
    Thank you for the replies
    Cx

6. ? How can you be a qualified food teacher and only teach KS3.?
    The entitlement for all pupils to learn to cook from 2011will imply they learn to cook with meat/fish esp if you follow the Licence to cook scheme.

7. finamar

finamar New commenter

I think you would struggle. I have been a vegetarian for more years than I care to remember and would be unable to do my job if I did not handle meat and fish! Would you also have an issue handling eggs? Do you wear leather shoes and use leather hand-bags?

8. Thanks for your replies - it's obviously not going to work - I do use eggs (free range, these days, although I was vegan for many years)
    No, I don't use leather
    Just wondered...
    Cx

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Another problem may arise when you taste a pupil's dish to mark it.

10. Does anyone still do that? Not done it for years- not since old O levels nd CSE ended back in 80's. I would be scared to taste some of my lot's food the amount of chilli they use!

11. As a teacher you must learn to separate your beliefs from what the children need to learn as part of the curriculum.There are certain materials that I would never use personally, so the kids need to use them, and so I did. When training I had to do certain stuff to do with Chrsitianity. I taught it, even though I have a moral objection to the religion. If you can't separate yourself from what you need to teach, you're probably not cut out for it.

Whether you touch it or not, the meat is still going to be cooked in your classroom. Whether you work with it or not, the children HAVE to use it. If the animal is already dead and the meat MUST be used, what's the use in being squeamish? It's still dead, even if you don't touch it.

12. Simple. You don't have the right to impose your beliefs on others, especially children.

13. I am a vegetarian food teacher and I have no problem at all....apart from the odd comment of miss why are you a veggie why don't you eat meat...Also teach catering and managed to find ways round tasting the meat dishes (TA's, HOD and grabbing hungry staff to help). I don't force vegetarian beliefs on them and make sure it doesn't provide barriers for the students....and I love it.

14. Megs,you are imposing your beliefs on the class if it's having the effect you describe.

No matter how strongly you feel personally about something ( I'm not a fan of halal and kosher slaughter methods but many of my pupils use only that meat) you need to put that to one side and swallow hard.

Perhaps you could invite a slaughterman in to describe the process as well as a vegetarian view. You might be surprised at some of the responses.

15. Hi
    As a food tech teacher you may have very little option but to handle non veg products as it is in the specification and it has to taught.My previous colleague was a strict vegetarian on the grounds of religion , but handled meat in her lessons as it was her job and was not required to eat it. I think you either change options or wear food gloves when handling meat , The high end skills like boning, scaling fish etc are required in the prac work at ks4. If it goes against your ethical code then you may have teach something else.
    Simmi

16. Megs,you are imposing your beliefs on the class if it's having the effect you describe.
    I disagree if the children are asking, they have a right to know the facts.
    No matter how strongly you feel personally about something ( I'm not a fan of halal and kosher slaughter methods but many of my pupils use only that meat) you need to put that to one side and swallow hard.
    There is nothing wrong with explaining the truth of what is involved in animal farming to the pupils. It is not our job to sweep things under the carpet. How else can the kids make informed choices?
    Perhaps you could invite a slaughterman in to describe the process as well as a vegetarian view. You might be surprised at some of the responses.

How about inviting a slaughterman to give a tour around a slaughterhouse or show a video of what actually happens to animals.