1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vegetables

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mad dog, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Mad dog

Mad dog New commenter

I was talking about veg the other day and the subject of a favourite vegetable came up.

Broad beans for me

2. raw cabbage

carrot & swede

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Onions for me because of their versatility, chopped, sliced, whole, softened in butter or olive oil and caramelised, added to a stew, soup or stock, made into French Onion Soup, used in a kebab, red onion sliced raw in a salad. Just so many ways of using them.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Broad beans, runner beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes, pak choi....................just about anything!!! I don't have an absolute favourite (but broad beans come close) as there's nothing I don't like!

5. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Sweet, raw peas, freshly podded.
    Crisp-fleshed, jaw-stingingly-sweet cherry tomatoes.
    Chinese Leaf in salads.

I prefer veg to be raw and crispy. I have a bit of an aversion to mushy and bitty textures. No mash or broccoli for me!

6. Potato, Onion, Garlic, Parsnip, Sweet Potato

7. For me homegrown runner beans, fresh raw peas straight out of the pod and of course celeriac are favourites. I can't think of any I don't like! [​IMG]

8. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I love most veg, but my favourites are courgettes, peas, broccoli and carrots.

9. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Like Chica I love veggies!
    I dislike peas, but love pretty much everything else. Faves are butternut squash, carrots, red/orange peppers, parsnip, courgette.....actually, love them all.

10. I love stewed red cabbage, peas with butter, cabbage with lots of pepper, mange tout, tomatoes with a dash of salt, radishes also with a smidgeon of salt, oooo and I love love love beetroot, except the way it stains everything it touches.

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Oooh yes!
    One of my faves ways is hot beetroot with cheesy mash. Divine!

12. I love all veg except beetroot - I just can't get past the smell - but favourites....
    broad beans no bigger than my little fingernail; radishes with butter and salt; tomatoes from the garden..warm and ripe; peas straight from the pod; aubergines in any shape or form; courgettes cooked with onions and garlic with a handful of pparsley and a squeeze of lemon juice; cauliflower cheese; roast sweet potatoes with smoked paprika.

13. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Spuds - couldn't live without them, peas and cauliflower.

14. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I love all vegetables. ...well nearly all. I don't like sweetcorn...and olives are the food of Satan (actually, olives are not a veg are they - they're fruits?)...oh and I'm fussy with broccoli....I love the stalks but not the heads (it's a texture thing).

15. Spuds,peas,cabbage,cauli,broc,sprouts espescially with chestnuts.toms,radishes, broad beans, butterbeans do tinned count love em with chips, green beans, baked beans, carrot and swede have to be mashed together with pepper and butter,beetroot. Only like peppers cooked,onions,asparagus,corn,

Hate, parsnip.courgette,aubergine, raw peppers,.

16. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I can't bear the thought of cooked beetroot.
    I'm not a huge fan of broad beans either.
    Apart from that, I think I like the lot!

17. Roasted vegetables.......... parsnip, carrot, potato, pumpkin........ Brussel sprouts boiled in a little bit of water, and smothered in butter and pepper, broccoli cooked in butter, tarragon, pepper and garlic, until starting to burn.... As posted elsewhere...I don't actually eat much during the day, but I do love my veg at night! Mashed potato, with bacon and mustard mixed through...mashed sweet potato, pumpkin curry, sweetcorn smothered in butter and pepper...... only vegetable I'm not overly fond of is okra!

18. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Oh, tell you what I don't like. Spaghetti squash.

19. snap! - but if i had to have a desert island veggie?
    cauliflower, i think - or maybe spring greens - or maybe tomatoes - or maybe peppers - or maybe....

20. Oh, I'd forgotten about Cauliflower.... but ONLY if it's in cheese sauce! And peppers, of course..... I like them raw in salad.... but I don't like lettuce.... eating it is boring! In the Cook Islands, they have bread fruit which I loved..... and I miss it as can't get it here..... !