1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vegans!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Dec 12, 2019.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

OK, looking for some input here.

Today, doing the classic rock salt experiment with some kids. TA announces that she only used Himalayan Pink salt because it contains no animal products! (***)?

I said that as far as I am aware salt never contains animal products.

She then said that she went to a Vegan conference and was told that 'they' use animal derived enzymes to 'break down' the salt!

After the lesson I spent 10 minutes on Google but could find no mention of this process, not even on Vegan websites. So people, please tell me this is a load of old bowlocks.

border_walker and nomad like this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I was watching a cookery programme the other day and it showed how sea water is left to 'dry out' to create sea salt, could she object to marine life caught in this process?

Edit

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Oh F F S.
    It is total bovine male g o n a d s.
    There is no enzyme capable of 'breaking down' salt..............you should know that Blazer. You need electrolysis to break down salt.

border_walker, caress, nomad and 2 others like this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

What was swimming around in the sea before it evaporated and left all the salt eh?

I bet there's all manner of wrigglies and bugglies swimming around and expiring in the salines where they make the sea salt in France, otherwise why do wading birds feed in them?

Anyway, weren't the Himalayas at the bottom of the sea once?

needabreak likes this.
  5. needabreak

Wading birds poop too.

6. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Darned Vegans cause nowt but trouble. Why are they bothering good honest folk? They should bogger off back to their own planet.

Laphroig, nomad, blazer and 1 other person like this.
  7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

This authentic-looking website establishes pretty clearly (to me anyway) that your TA is talking b*llocks.

https://yourveganjourney.com/is-salt-vegan/

Any supposed superiority of pink Himalayan salt is just marketing by is manufacturers aimed at people with more money than sense.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The other thing is that French saline salt is just piled up at the side of the marais for ages before it's bagged up and sold. There must be all sorts of animal contamination in the stockpiles.

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Himalayan Pink Salt = dirty salt with pink dirt.

Great marketing idea though, I wonder how close to the Himalayas it actually comes from?

lanokia, nomad and needabreak like this.
  10. needabreak

Isn't it algae or some other organism that causes it to be pink like in the Spanish Saltmarshes? *Think I read that somewhere ages ago.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Everyone ought to have a go at the Vegan Challenge. It's simple enough. You just have to eat a salad and go 24 hours without telling everyone you're a vegan. Oddly, most vegans fail.

border_walker and Laphroig like this.
  12. needabreak

But its better for the environment just like Greta so shouldn't all non vegans be outed, named, shamed, blamed (see what I did there), pilloried and made to feel bad as others virtue signal to them and have emotional outbursts about how non vegan choices are impacting on vegans lifespan and quality of life?

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Yes, I know this but she couldn't be convinced.

14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Show her a globe and watch her reaction.

Norsemaid likes this.
  15. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

But I do really, really like Greggs vegan sausage roll.
    With a nice big decaf latte.
    Oops.

nomad likes this.
  16. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Take good care to respect the Best Before date on jars of himalayan salt.

coffeekid and nomad like this.
  17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Do vegans know how many bunnies and their friends die during harvesting?

border_walker likes this.
  18. Rott Weiler

No, there are no organisms in pink salt. The colour is because of various trace-minerals where it is mined. Pink salt has no identified health benefits over 'ordinary' salt, it's just trendy and costs so much mainly because of its very high marketing costs.

19. needabreak

I meant the pink sea salt in Spain not mined salt.

20. Rott Weiler

Food labelling regualtions require salt to contain nothing except minerals.