1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Veganism is not the answer...........................

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lapinrose, May 21, 2019.

1. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

Truth be told, it was a hazy memory from things I read a little while ago, but this is one source of such data:
    https://www.footprintnetwork.org/
    All such calculations are fraught with difficulty. My recollection is that carrying capacity is based on food production, while the broader idea of footprint tries to include all resources.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I do remember a quote somewhere that the whole population of the earth could be fitted into the UK if standing up. Not that I an advocating doing this but I would mean all the polluting humans would be in one place. The fun of open spaces in other lands then!

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Some of the land suitable for livestock could not be used for cereal crops. Many cattle are grazed on flood plains and sheep on hillsides.

border_walker likes this.
  4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Get rid of the sheep and reforest the hills - as they should be. Improves water retention, reduces flooding and most importantly reduces CO2 in the atmosphere.

5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I thought we could fit on Anglesey

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Not a fan of wool then, Scintillant? Polyester more your thing?

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Useless to you standing up in the UK.

8. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

Heck, if you just built the whole UK at the urban density of Macau you could fit everyone in.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

That's okay then the Welsh might like a population increase. :)