1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Veganism is not the answer...........................

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lapinrose, May 21, 2019.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm always unsure how to equate my own eating of meat with bio-ethics, because all the vested business interests, including those in land ownership and profit driven consumer supply, are never really laid bare in such arguments, are they?
    The only way I can be sure of supporting our planet in terms of food consumption is eating seasonally and boycotting food miles as much as I can. The meat we eat as a family adheres to those principals. If we had the right environment, we'd rear our own meat, probably goats, but at the minute we need to dry our washing in the garden, and they'd have it.

What I do know is that My aunty breeds cows intensively in her own field, but actually it's a front for a large crop of GM cannabis. The steaks have never been higher.

Stiltskin, dleaf12 and nomad like this.
  4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Malthus?

sbkrobson likes this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well precisely, but of course it is more de rigeur to say "stop eating meat" than to say "stop breeding yourselves", which actually makes far better sense.
    Saying what you didn't get up to last night is never as much a virtue as saying you are having protein based burger substitute for tea.

border_walker and nomad like this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I was thinking that 75 tons of meat from 3,500 acres cannot be done everywhere. Coupled with the rational self-interest of Supermarkets to buy as much in cheaply and sell it all as expensively as possible in collections that lead to large amounts of waste.

7. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Surely the two are not mutually exclusive. If it is beneficial to have animals on a farm for sustainability, it doesn't mean you have to eat them.

8. Scintillant

18% of calories but takes up 83% of farmland

While the difference in greenhouse gas emissions for animal-based versus plant-based foods is well known, emissions per gram of protein for beef and lamb are about 250 times those of legumes

Twenty servings of vegetables have fewer greenhouse gas emissions than one serving of beef.

The problem we have is connecting our actions to the way the planet is changing. If we carry on, things will be very grim.

9. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Less meat; higher quality.

As for the planet, it'll be fine long term. We might be doomed, maybe, but the notion that car sharing in England will have any measurable effect is silly. Just go look up the projections for China and India alone, we're screwed.

border_walker likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

True..

But I know which one will get my vote on a menu. Not trying to be flippant...

I await lab grown meat... once that gets to industrial levels of output this discussion will be a memory.

11. Scintillant

Yes, interesting times. I'd eat it.

Some of the religious folks will need the cultured cells to from Halal and Kosher slaughtered animals. God wouldn't want people to be saving the planet but breaking that rule. Priorities and all that.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm sure that any kosher meat producing HELA-like line of cells would be found to infringe some God's instruction to mankind.

13. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I have reservations about the current trend for veganism - the demand for nut milk, nut cheese (!) etc is causing huge monocultured areas of nut orchards to be developed, destroying wildlife and biodiversity. It reminds me of the economic consequences of first world demand for quinoa, which hit various South American countries.
    No, veganism is not "the answer". Less meat, locally produced is better, I'd think.
    And yes, car-sharing in GB isn't the answer either, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

14. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Bedlam3 likes this.
  15. border_walker

the Helen Lane culture did mutate greatly over time. I think I would be a bit concerned about that.

racroesus likes this.
  16. border_walker

Just did a quick search to see that the line was derived from Henrietta Lacks not Helen Lane - my memory - from 45 years ago - must be failing me.

racroesus likes this.
  17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Agree!

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Were do you get the idea that folks will do without children.? Will you encourage your sons and daughters not to have any or enforce a single child policy on a nation as was originally enforced by the Chinese, but didn't work
    Whats next? Kill all the adults over a certain age or delete whole nations who could be accused of encouraging global change..or maybe some of its deniers such as Trump?How about close every factory,or only walking allowed .or live in a primitive way with no heat unless you have none polluting power.

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Prob;em is Oldie, we have gone from just over 2 billion world population, to over 7 billion in little over 50 years!
    We need fewer children, not no children.
    Many catholic/religious countries still don't use birth control. And the people who should have children are restricting the size of their families as they cannot afford more children, and those who should not be having more children (on benefits, no job, no morals) are reproducing like rabbits.
    The planet cannot sustain this number of humans.

20. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Manyof the so-called religious are adept at infringing lots of God's instructions while berating others for doing the same.