1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vegan party food

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lilachardy, Apr 14, 2012.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Hummous?

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Falafel, toasted and salted almonds, patatas bravas, baba ghannouche, imam bayeldi(meatless)

3. baba ghannouche sounds good, I have aubergines and pitta breads. Thank you!

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Scary! [​IMG]

5. Yes I know, couldn't do without milk, eggs. Everything I had suggested had some form of animal product in it lol.
    My daughter is a vegetarian or was I have managed to get her on fish now and again. If she stays at home for much longer then perhaps I will get her eating meat again [​IMG]

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

But an interesting challenge, when the GCSE asked for candidates to develop a food product for special diets, one of the pupils chose to D&M a vegan dessert, very interesting what can be done with soya and rice milk, also almond milk is lovely!

7. Scrummmm!!
    Sunflower seeds tossed in soy sauce and a little olive oil, then toasted.
    Hummus with crudites and/or breadsticks.
    Really good quality mixed olives from a posh deli.
    Sorry - it's probably way too late for these suggestions, I'm just being self-indulgent. ;-)

8. BelleDuJour

Some years ago I had vegan guests for dinner. Nightmare! No eggs, butter, milk, cheese, gelatine................nothing! The food was ok but I'd not like to live my life like that. Not sure it's particularly healthy either.
    I'm still wanting to know what issues a vegan would have with free range eggs from my own chickens (no cockerel so infertile). My chickens are pets and live a full life. If I were to turn vegan I'd have to throw the eggs away.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

They're from an animal, simple as that. There's even a shop in Brighton Lanes called Vegetarian shoes, no leather whatsoever.
    Many lacto-vegetarians don't eat eggs either, even nguaranteed unfertilised ones.

10. I'm not vegan, nor gluten intolerant but just made dairy free and gluten free squidy chocolate and cranberry squares as I was keen to experiment in some 'free from' baking for a coeliac friend. No eggs used either so suitable for vegans.

11. That should say squidgy, not squidy! No squid were harmed in my baking ;)

12. That sounds delicious! Any chance of the recipe?

13. BelleDuJour

I wonder if they use hairspray. It's made from prawn shells.................honestly it is! Not a lot of people know that.
    I know a lot of vegetarians who wear leather though. Personally I have a pair of Stella McCartney shoes. She's veggie (of course) and won't use leather or silk. The shoes are fabric, cost far too much money (I was somewhat over-refreshed when I bought them) and are bloody uncomfortable. Give me my old £5 New Look leather flip flops any day!

14. Not all vegetarians are vegetarians because they are primarily concerned about animal welfare.
    Theoretically, vegans could eat your chicken's eggs, but as most vegans don't have friends with backyard chickens or a happy cow with calf as a pet, they avoid all eggs and dairy products.
    I find veganism a bit extreme although a lot of the food is very yummy. I only know 3 vegans (it is still not very widespread here) but they do eat very healthily and replace dairy with other stuff to compensate, e.g. soya or almond milk instead of cow's milk (not sure what they use instead of honey!).
    There are various vegan hairsprays, gels etc, available, btw :eek:)

15. BelleDuJour

I'm sure there are CQ. I just wonder how many vegans or vegetarians know hairspray is made from prawn shells.
    Like you I find veganism extreme but I don't necessarily agree they all eat healthily. Humans are designed to eat a hunter/gatherer diet and I'm sure a vegan diet can be deficient in things like iron and calcium. What's more you can get vegan bacon which, IMO is not only vile but even worse than vegatarian bacon. Jeez.............if you want to eat bacon don't be a veggie! Any extreme diet is bound to have probelms TBH, such as macrobiotic or raw food diets (bleugh!).
    Nothing wrong with a good, well balanced, omniverous diet (and a nice leather handbag!) [​IMG]

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

You have to hunt around for vegan [or even vegetarian] beer too. Most contain the beautifuly-named isinglass. Do a search - I'm feeling idle!

17. I think most are actually very well-informed (if we are speaking particularly of vegans).
    As for all those "pretend to be meat" products - you have to remember that many who do not eat meat (so I am speaking of vegetarians, in various varieties) give up eating meat because they do not agree with e.g. factory farming or animals suffering, or because they believe it will have less impact on the environment (which is true - think of all the water used to rear animals, just as one aspect) - not necessarily because they don't like the taste of meat.
    Whilst I think veganism extreme (although I think you can nourish yourself perfectly well as a vegan if you are responsible about it and not being one because it is a fad) - I can actually empathise with vegans and sometimes find myself verging on becoming one. I have real qualms about milk and eggs sometimes (more so milk than eggs).
    Let us be bluntly true, vegetarians and vegans are certainly healthier, on the whole, than many ominvores who eat junk food and live off takeaways and are killing their bodies with salt, fat and sugars.
    There is room in the world for all of us :eek:)

18. I did supper for a couple of vegans once. We had mixed chaat, onion bhajis and veg pakoras as a starter, then rice, dhal and veg curry for main. But for pudding, I wimped out and we we just had a pineapple! Is there a vegan version of an apple crumple?

19. My version IS vegan (though unintentionally).
    Stewed apples, the topping is an oat sprinkle, binded with marg (I often add a bit of cinnamon).
    As long as you avoid butter, there is no problem.

20. Of course..... margarine, I had a mental block there, plus a deep seated prejudice against using anything but butter in a crumble, but needs must.