1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

vegan cheese

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Tara Jane, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Oh is debating whether to take the next step and become vegan. Cant find any in Tescos or our local Holland and barrett. Any ideas of supermarkets that stock vegan cheese/ Any recommendations as to which type is more tasty? amd cooks well. many thanks

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

How important to him is cheese? If he cannot do without "real" cheese, maybe he should not become a vegan!

BTW: I believe soft cheeses are vegan - could be wrong!

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

If your OH wants to go vegan, then that is , of course, their choice. I was veggie for a while but never felt I could (or wanted to ) go fully vegan.
    On the subject of vegan cheese, I speak from my own limited experience.......DON'T DO IT!!!!!
    That stuff is awful! I feel the need to go and scrub my teeth and rinse with mouth-wash just remembering the taste!

(Soft cheese is more likely to be free of animal rennet (but increasingly so is hard cheese - they use vegetable rennet) so will be vegetarian. To be vegan the cheese needs to be milk free too.)

5. I never understand why vegetarians think it is OK to drink milk.

OK here's the reasoning: for a cow (sheep, goat etc) to produce meat it has to give birth. Because the farmer is intgerested in the milk the calf (or whatever) has to be taken away from the mother and either sold as veal or destroyed.
    That's why some people claim that if you drink milk and eat dairy you should also eat veal.
    Sorry can't help on the vegan cheese

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

This reasoning is somewhat flawed.
    Most mammals produce enopugh milk for their young and not much over. With dairy cows it is different. They actually produce more milk ....much, much more than a calf can drink! Calves are not always taken from the cow and killed for veal/destroyed. They get a fair portion of milk.
    I have recently switched to mainly goats milk....and am trying to see if this is true of goats too. (It would be nice if it was!)
    If I had better health I would love to keep goats...and any baby goats would have first dibs on the milk!

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've never heard that myself but I do think as a nation we are too 'prissy' about veal and also hypocritical.
    'We' don't like veal because it is considered a 'baby' cow. Veal calves are rarely slaughtered before 6 months, which is the age lamb is slughtered yet we don't get all sentimental over lambs.
    The poor old broiler chicken is lucky to make it to 6 weeks!
    There's also an ethical objection in the UK to crated milk veal, a production method long since outlawed in the UK. So we happily send our calves abroad to Europe to be crated there! Hypocritical or what?
    I feel strongly that we should embrace veal production and encourage more famers to produce rose veal, which is a delicious, healthy, humanely produced meat.

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Hmmm. Now, I don't eat meat but I do have dairy products.

I think milk is a food for babies - not adults of a different species. But I'll try not to think about it too much most of the time!

9. I thought (stand to be corrected) they were removed between 24 hours and 7 days - whether or not they were going to be slaughtered.

I know there are other arguments about milk production. I'm a meat eater and not about to say what someone should or should not eat / drink. I may have come accross like that as I have been lectured to on more than one occasion by a vegetarian that I should not eat meat (and one said I shouldn't eat eggs), and yet the said vegetarians (no one on here) were happy to consume milk with not a thought about how it is/was produced.

The bottom line is: a cow cannot produce milk until it has given birth, several months after giving birth the cow will stop producing milk until it has given birth again.Most dairy cows give birth once a year but dairy herds do not double in size every year.
    I'm not saying it is right/wrong / somewhere in the middle / necessary ........
    It is just one of the 'milk is cruel' arguments.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

I love veal and eat it with a free conscience if I know that it has not been cruelly raised in a stall and/or transported live in appalling conditions.

As for vegan cheese, it's a contradiction in terms and so it cannot exist except as some horrible parody of the real thing. The OP's OH should just foget about the pleasures of cheese and apply himself to other nice things. And the OP should tell him that she'll continue to enjoy cheese for as long as she's not a vegan.

11. BelleDuJour

The bottom line is you are correct, but a cow will continue to produce milk as long as the milk is being removed, either by a calf or a milking machine. However, milk production will be less so to keep it up as high as possible another calf is produced. There are some human mums who breastfeed children of 7 or 8 years or even older......becasue of this they still produce milk! (doesn't do it for me I must say [​IMG])
    Normally it is the male calves that are killed or sold for veal. Female calves are often reared to replace the dairy cows. Dairy cows do not produce good beef. Just look at a picture of a Friesian (dairy) cow next to an Aberdeen Angus (beef) cow and you'lll soon see why. The male calves are indeed taken between 1 and 7 days.
    However, the dairy cow herself ends up in the meat grinder once she becomes barren or her yield falls or she gets repeated attracks of mastitis, which is rife in dairy herds due to the enormous size of the udder from selected breeding programmes.

12. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Hear hear!
    The simple fact is, it's impossible to manage a herd of bulls. They have to be culled before they reach the point they vie for dominance over each other. Sending them abroad to be reared in crates, slaughtered and sold instead of making humanely produced veal available as a meat option on our own supermarket shelves is complete madness.
    Not only does it deprive us in the UK of a delicious meat, it adds food miles to the veal our EU friends enjoy.

13. BelleDuJour

Yes. Complete madness!

14. I did a double double take and contemplated outing you as a carnivore liar, but read on !!

15. Thanks Belle.

BTW we stoped exporting veal for veal crates years ago, and in 2007 they were banned in the Eu so no worries about eating veal.