1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Veg boxes for one..

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by jo_south_yorks, Dec 9, 2010.

1. I'm thinking about starting to get a veg box delivered each week.
    I live on my own, though most weekends I have a couple of friends over and so there are three of us for dinner on a Friday and Saturday.
    Do you think it is cost effective to get a veg box? And do you use up all the veg (especially if you live alone?) I don't want to pay for veg that goes off if there is too muc hin there for just me.
    What kind of veggies do you all get? I'm assuming they will be seasonal and based on availability but what are the 'staples' of the box?
    Lots of questions but just want to get your views before I start to get one delivered.
    JSY x

2. I'm thinking about starting to get a veg box delivered each week.
    I live on my own, though most weekends I have a couple of friends over and so there are three of us for dinner on a Friday and Saturday.
    Do you think it is cost effective to get a veg box? And do you use up all the veg (especially if you live alone?) I don't want to pay for veg that goes off if there is too muc hin there for just me.
    What kind of veggies do you all get? I'm assuming they will be seasonal and based on availability but what are the 'staples' of the box?
    Lots of questions but just want to get your views before I start to get one delivered.
    JSY x

3. I think Beth was looking into getting a veggie box for one and I think JR38 (is that the right username, there are two posters I always get mixed up, they both have a J and numbers?) had a good recommendation (and I think she lives alone most of the time??)
    If you do a search on this forum, you will probably find the thread quite quickly, it was only a couple of weeks ago.
    I'll see if I can find it...
    Remember, you can always freeze veg that you don't use - or make up some soup and freeze that!

4. Oh I remember that thread!
    I'm just having a look now, £11.50 is reasonable for organic veg I would say! And all the things I like too.
    Thanks CQ :)

5. ljr

ljr New commenter

For £12.50 you can fill your own box from their whole list, so you get to choose what you want in the box - you can add dairy produce, eggs, or mix fruit & veg. They also will deliver fortnightly, or even monthly if you prefer. I have used them for years & I really recommend them.

6. Ooooh thatsounds more like it! Which company?
    x

7. ljr

ljr New commenter

Riverford

8. I've just made up an order of the same items (near enough) on Riverford as from the box on Abel and Cole. Riverford is £3 more expensive for like for like items. The boxes on Riverford arent as big either.
    Thanks for the suggestion though.
    JSY x

9. I am not in the UK so no experience of Riverford, but I do know it has been recommended on here silly numbers of times, so they must be good!
    I often dip into their recipe section myself!
    http://www.riverford.co.uk/cook/

10. Try both and see which is the most reliable, better quality etc. You don't need to sign up for life [​IMG]

11. CQ, I'm a poor(ish) student :( £3 is £3 towards petrol for placement, towards bills, warm socks! etc etc etc!
    But yea I spose I could just try both! Riverford is fairly local too, not sure whereabouts A+C is based. There is a farm nearby with a farmshop so I might pop over tomorrow and see how expensive their veg is. I want to start supporting British farmers more, but don't to pay the earth for it. I suppose that might be a price I have to pay though..
    JSY x

12. If you have a local farmshop, do give it a try.
    Even in my poorest, poorest days, I would always spend more on food and forgo on something else (if you think about what you fritter away on silly stuff, it astounds you).
    Your farmshop may also deliver - ask them. Many do.

13. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Organic veg boxes - one of my favourite topics ;)

I use riverford after trying abel and stuck with them because I found the quality to be much higher and the actual amount of each veg in the box was more. I am in smilar situaiton to you - just one person with 2 at wkends or a few evenings. I get one of the £12-£15 boxes (depending what is in them that week) fortnightly. I make sure I use the 'greens' type veg first - others last up to 2 weeks with no problem and are still fresh if stored correctly (carrots kept with the mud on etc). I've found that veg from the boxes lasts much longer than from supermarkets and is far tastier.

14. CQ was right then!
    That was what I was hoping. I don't mind spending the extra few pounds to get fresher tastier produce if it keeps better. I seem to be wasting a lot of money on veg that goes off really quickly. I buy loose more than prepackaged so I only buy what I need but even still I end up throwing veg away.
    Not going to order one yet, will wait until January when I have more money in the pot and will be here longer. I'm off back to my mums over Christmas so eating up freezer food atm! Luckily there are portions of soup and bolagnase in there waiting to be defrosted so not all junk oven food.
    Thanks everyone :)
    JSY x

15. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has commented on this thread - have been trawling through recent posts and stumbled across this one. I've just ordered my first fruit & veg box!