1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Veg box ordered!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bethannie, May 6, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Right!
    I've just done it....
    On Wednesday Next Week, my first veg/fruit box will arrive!
    I am going with Riverford, and have ordered a one-off delivery of a small veg box and a fruit bag. If it looks/tastes as good as it appears on the website, then I will make a regular order.
    I'm getting rather excited!

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

It's arrived!

Veg Box:
    Asparagus
    Carrots
    Courgettes
    Kohlrabi
    Lettuce
    Potatoes
    Spring Greens
    Wet Garlic

Fruit Bag:
    Apples
    Bananas
    Blueberries

The delivery man was very nice, and has given me his card in case I have any problems. There's also a bundle of leaflets - explaining the system and recipe ideas.
    All of it looks good. And the lack of packaging is great! If I'd bought the stuff at the supermarket it'd be covered in plastic! Here, the fruit was in a brown paper bag (OK, the blueberries are in a punnet!) and the veg is all nestled together in the box - and if /when I set up a regular order they like the boxes back to re-use.

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Sounds fantastic value Beth! Can't wait to hear what you're going to do with it all!

4. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I got wet garlic in my box this week too (I get riverford seasons) yum yum!! Can't wait!

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Ooooooh! I got my first 'regular' order today....I've gone for a 'medium' veg box every fortnight which I can top up with extra veg or fruit as I want.
    And when I unpacked my box, there was a free gift! There was a little note saying that the fennel has been a bumper crop and so they included a good sized 'bulb' (is that the right word?) of fennel for me to enjoy free of charge....yum!

6. Our veg box provider is having a 'hungry gap' so no supplies for 6 weeks or so, I have to say, I'm missing the box and some of surprises we often get in it! We do still receive their organic eggs so I've been baking this afternoon with beautiful fresh eggs.
    What will you do with your fennel, Beth? .....apart from the obvious answer - eat it!! [​IMG]

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I think I might roast some of it. Then I shall have some of it raw in a salad with lemon and black pepper.

8. Very yummy, enjoy!

9. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I thought those boxes were supposed to be locally produced, organic produce.
    Courgettes, peppers, tomatoes, blueberries and kiwis will all be imported, surely? Or am I missing the point?

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I think Nick uses the same box-provider as I do....Riverford.
    All the produce is organic.
    From what I have read (Riverford send plenty of info about their network of farms!) this is the 'hungry season' - about 4 - 6 weeks when the boxes cannot be filled completely in the UK. One of the sister farms (Riverford is a network of 'sister' farms) is in France - it joined the network 2 years ago. They produce some of the veggies for the UK farms whilst we wait for our own crops to get ready for harvest.
    Some other box companies choose not to send out a box during this period.
    In a few more weeks the boxes will be fully/almost all local/UK produce.
    Tomatoes are (almost) always imported as to grow them commercially would involve too much in the way of greenhouses). The ones imported are organic. Also some fruit - eg bananas and oranges are imported (organic/fairtraid) because they can't be grown in the UK.
    Even when the boxes are fully local/Uk then other produce will often be available as a top-up ....but always organ and ethically produced.
    Check out their website!

11. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Yep, just as Beth says. April/May is always a lean period in Britain. They do claim not to air-freight any of their foreign produce as well.
    I love to use local ingredients wherever possible, but I do like to eat bananas too! I think it's important to balance the use of local produce where seasonal, with taking advantage of the benefits of a global economy.
    Anyway, box arrived today and am impressed. Will use again.

12. landaise

Ok, I take your point, it's true that for you, it's the end of the winter veg and not quite ready for the summer type produce. We get locally produced courgettes, strawberries, peppers, aubergines and salad leaves from early April. Kiwis are available all year round, big growing area here. The yellow ones are the best if you can get them.

13. landaise

I'd also forgotten about tomatoes being grown indoors there, too! Ours are coming into flower in the garden already. We've had over 3 kg of strawberries and within a month will have eaten our first lettuces.

14. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Have already had our first lettuces from the garden here as well as radishes, spinach, chard, bok choy and spring onions. Have also had our first carrots although these did come from the greenhouse!

15. landaise

I mean our first SUMMER lettuces! Spring ones are long gone.