1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Veal ideas please

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Feb 25, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

For one reason or another, despite it having been my son's 14th birthday on Monday we still haven't done a special meal for him, so I want to make one tonight.
    In France on Tuesday I bought some veal: shoulder escalopes about a centimetre thick, lovely and pink, not white!
    What shall I do with them? I'm inclined to French-style as I have some foie gras for starters (yes, yes I know!) and loads of lovely cheese.

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

For one reason or another, despite it having been my son's 14th birthday on Monday we still haven't done a special meal for him, so I want to make one tonight.
    In France on Tuesday I bought some veal: shoulder escalopes about a centimetre thick, lovely and pink, not white!
    What shall I do with them? I'm inclined to French-style as I have some foie gras for starters (yes, yes I know!) and loads of lovely cheese.

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Schnitzel?
    Saltimbocca?
    Cordon Bleu?
    Grilled with garlic butter?
    Grilled with a red wine and butter sauce?

Well jealous.

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

White wine and butter sauce maybe - my children don't like red!

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I went with a sauce of that garlicky cream cheese (fake Boursin) + ros&eacute; wine (the only one that was open) with saut&eacute; potatoes and grren beans, broad beans and peas cooked "en &eacute;touffe"
    Deeelish --- and the children yummed it all up!
    </td></tr></table>

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

How very yummy! We should promote rose veal production here in the UK

7. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Sadly it's not very fashionable and (I think) most people assume that it involves treating veal calves badly (which I know is not the case). I've had to resort to buying rose veal from farmer's fayre because I cannot get it from any of my local butchers.

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

My post vanished, but I had posted about Veal with Orange sauce, fry the veal in butter, when cooked remove from the pan, deglaze the pan with the juice of an orange, add the grated peel or fine strips and chopped parsley, tiny pinch of salt and black pepper.