1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VCOP display ideas please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jun 7, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We have VCOP displays in all our classes but they are not very inspiring. Just a whole load of vocabulary, a triangle of punctuation and another of connectives with some examples of openers. Dull and not really useful.

After much persuasion (lit co-ord likes the one we have) I have permission to work with my class to come up with a fabulous and exciting VCOP display. We are going to do this in Thursday morning, so I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas to add to my own.

Ladders and mountains are possible to show the levels for connectives and punctuation, but then how to add in the openers and vocab? Anything in any theme is possible and the display board available is huge.

Thank you in advance please people.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We have VCOP displays in all our classes but they are not very inspiring. Just a whole load of vocabulary, a triangle of punctuation and another of connectives with some examples of openers. Dull and not really useful.

After much persuasion (lit co-ord likes the one we have) I have permission to work with my class to come up with a fabulous and exciting VCOP display. We are going to do this in Thursday morning, so I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas to add to my own.

Ladders and mountains are possible to show the levels for connectives and punctuation, but then how to add in the openers and vocab? Anything in any theme is possible and the display board available is huge.

Thank you in advance please people.

3. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I'm not sure if it's the kind of thing you're thinking of, as I don't have a VCOP display myself, but what about a picture of a child at the bottom and then thought bubbles rising up to the top of the board with different-level openers inside them? For vocab, maybe a vine growing on the wall with trickier vocab getting near the top, or racecars travelling around the board with different words on them.
    Sorry, not very inspiring!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Better than what we have!

Like the tree of vocab...Then I could keep the tree long term and just change the vocab as and when.

In fact I could have a forest...

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think this is why I want to change form the Big Writing format to something more individual. I want to use the display, well ok I want the children to use the display, every time they write.

Thank you for the links, off to have a look now.

6. Not sure if it's any help, however, along the lines of your tree/forest idea I made a WOW word tree. I laminated real leaves and the children would write their WOW words on labels which we stuck on the leaves.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I want full stops correct first please [​IMG]
    then I don't care on the order after that [​IMG]

8. I agree with you, however I don't know how the pyramid aids this.

9. Msz

It isn't set in stone though so adapt to suit your needs.

10. Are you admitting that it does not actually help.
    That the levels do not actually help?
    That maybe just a jumbled mass of punctuation maybe just as effective if it was velcroed on you could add and removed the ones you wanted/didnt want using?
    Does the pyramid tell the children how to use them?

11. Msz

What I'm saying is that like any tool you have to make it fit your needs.
    Make it work for you don't be a slave to it.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

WOW! And I thought it was just me! (Shhh but I don't really like the Ros Wilson, Big Writing 'thing' either.)

I totally agree about the pyramid and the levels. I abandoned the levelled connectives in January and just put up the ones I'd had last year which are laminated and then blutacked to the display. That way I could move them across to the white board to focus on them. I had some extra punctuation ones that I used in the same way, but wasn't allowed not to have the punctuation triangle at that point.

I am instructed to have the VCOP bits on display. I totally agree that they need to be taught in context and that so called lower level punctuation might actually be harder to get right. But I have won the battle of interesting display, not going to push my luck too much. (I agree that having a tree will not teach more than having a triangle, but it looks more interesting and exciting which add to the nice classroom atmosphere.)

Perhaps if I can make the trees stick out from the wall, they won't take up so much wall space? Then I can use some of the wall to display children's work showing the use of some of the connectives and punctuation in context. And the leaves will definitely be movable to actually use in lessons.

13. Don't forget a football pitch, where each child has a football with their name on. Every time they move up a sub level they move one space nearer the goal. This could be in the middle of your forest!

14. The whole point about the Ros Wilson's big writing program is that you do teach the VCOP, not just have it on your wall. It should be in use every day, that's when the program will be successful and improve the levels.

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But it is very hard to 'use' something attached to a giant triangle (that I am supposed to call a pyramid in total disregard for mathematics!) which is attached to the wall.

LOL the football goals are on another wall with targets for maths. We have dartboards for literacy targets.

Oh and with a maths working wall there is no space to display pupils work!

Actually that is a bit of a lie, I don't have all of those things. If the subject leader doesn't make a fuss then I don't put it up on the walls and just fill the display space with children's work! Terrible I know.

16. This is my point however when using the 'triangle' the low level children try to use items off leves above for a number of reasons, including trying to impress the teacher, misconceptions, trying to get a higher mark and using them wrong.
    The speech marks and ellipsis are easier to use than the comma - but to a child this is confusing as commas come lower down (which means higher level - confusing) than both of those.
    So how would you teach this to a level 2/3 child? tell them to igore the other levels?
    Try the higher levels even though you have not explicitly taught them?
    How does the pyramid enhance learning? It is just a checklist for those children who are confident writers!